May 19 2013 Latest news:
By Trevor Davies, Leyton Orient correspondent
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
It’s been a good week for the O’s
Orient manager Russell Slade has completed the signing of former Huddersfield Town defender Nathan Clarke – as his plans for the new season went into over-drive.
On Monday the O’s boss had just 16 players in a threadbare-looking squad before he captured striker Ryan Brunt and goalkeeper Ryan Allsop.
Then, today, the O’s chief signed 28-year-old defender Clarke on a two-year contract – and another signing is imminent.
Clarke, who has spent the last 11 years at Huddersfield Town played over 300 games for the Terriers and could be a contender to lead the Orient side.
A delighted Slade said: “We have been chasing Nathan for most of the close season and we’re delighted to have landed him.
“A lot of clubs were interested and we had to be patient and that patience has paid off.”
With Clarke, Scott Cuthbert, Mathieu Baudry and Ben Chorley in contention for two places at the heart of the defence, the O’s boss is determined to tighten things up at the back.
“We conceded 77 goals last year – that was the most I’ve ever conceded and we needed to do some work on that,” said Slade.