Search

Apple iSore is “ruining Shoreditch”

PUBLISHED: 14:18 08 May 2014 | UPDATED: 14:18 08 May 2014

Apple®  ad on the corner of Shoreditch High Street and Commercial Street.

Apple® ad on the corner of Shoreditch High Street and Commercial Street.

Archant

Tech giant Apple has been accused of “ruining Shoreditch” with a massive advert which a planning chief has claimed is unauthorised.

Chair of Hackney Council Planning Sub Committee Councillor Vincent StopsChair of Hackney Council Planning Sub Committee Councillor Vincent Stops

Cllr Vincent Stops, the chairman of Hackney Council’s planning committee, challenged Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, on a social networking site over the advert which covers the top floor of a Georgian house in Shoreditch High Street, at the corner of Commercial Street.

Cllr Stops alleged on Twitter: “Your illegal mega ad is ruining Shoreditch.”

Matt Johnson, the lead singer of the band, The The, joined the exchange, saying he had been complaining to the council about the advert for two years, “yet for some reason up it stays”.

Mr Johnson told the Gazette: “Almost everyone in Shoreditch is aware that Apple are flaunting planning laws but I was surprised to see Vincent Stops’s Twitter feed about it.”

Matt JohnsonMatt Johnson

A spokesman for Apple claimed the advert was legitimate in the form of “deemed consent” – meaning it does not need planning permission – and that advertising space had been used by them for a decade.

However, on April 28 an application was submitted to the council for retrospective planning consent at the site by media company Blow Up.

A council spokesman said the planning department had investigated the site in February 2012 regarding the unauthorised display of an advert which was subsequently removed, leading to the closure of the case in June 2012. However, a further case was opened last December.

He said: “Investigations by the planning service have led to the recent submission of a retrospective application seeking consent for the display of an advert.”

Cllr Stops declined to comment because of the live planning application.

The Gazette contacted Blow Up Media but did not get a response.

Latest Hackney News Stories

Yesterday, 12:00

Tenants and homeowners on the Woodberry Down Estate are fuming after discovering another high-rise will be built 20 metres from their windows – blocking their picturesque view.

Fri, 18:29

A man who was spotted by a CCTV operator to be in possession of a gun in Dalston has been jailed for four years.

Fri, 15:17

A second victim of the horrific acid attack in a London Fields nightclub has been left blind in one eye, police say.

Fri, 11:56

Work is underway to build four council homes in Stoke Newington as part of Hackney Council’s huge estate regeneration project.

Fri, 11:47

Hoxton’s Britannia Leisure Centre will be knocked down and rebuilt after plans for a school, flats and new sports hub were given the go-ahead.

Fri, 11:23

Two Shoreditch nightclubs will be the first in London to trial booze patrols for people who’ve had too much to drink.

Thu, 12:07

Detectives hunting for Towie celeb Arthur Collins over a horrific acid attack in a London Fields nightclub have raided three properties in Hertfordshire.

Thu, 08:00

Concorde Youth club members were given a night to remember when the rapper and poet Akala came to speak to them about the history of hip-hop.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Hackney Half Marathon takes place on April 30, and the Gazette has two pairs of free tickets to give away.