Search

Apple iSore is “ruining Shoreditch”

14:18 08 May 2014

Apple®  ad on the corner of Shoreditch High Street and Commercial Street.

Apple® ad on the corner of Shoreditch High Street and Commercial Street.

Archant

Tech giant Apple has been accused of “ruining Shoreditch” with a massive advert which a planning chief has claimed is unauthorised.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

Chair of Hackney Council Planning Sub Committee Councillor Vincent StopsChair of Hackney Council Planning Sub Committee Councillor Vincent Stops

Cllr Vincent Stops, the chairman of Hackney Council’s planning committee, challenged Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, on a social networking site over the advert which covers the top floor of a Georgian house in Shoreditch High Street, at the corner of Commercial Street.

Cllr Stops alleged on Twitter: “Your illegal mega ad is ruining Shoreditch.”

Matt Johnson, the lead singer of the band, The The, joined the exchange, saying he had been complaining to the council about the advert for two years, “yet for some reason up it stays”.

Mr Johnson told the Gazette: “Almost everyone in Shoreditch is aware that Apple are flaunting planning laws but I was surprised to see Vincent Stops’s Twitter feed about it.”

Matt JohnsonMatt Johnson

A spokesman for Apple claimed the advert was legitimate in the form of “deemed consent” – meaning it does not need planning permission – and that advertising space had been used by them for a decade.

However, on April 28 an application was submitted to the council for retrospective planning consent at the site by media company Blow Up.

A council spokesman said the planning department had investigated the site in February 2012 regarding the unauthorised display of an advert which was subsequently removed, leading to the closure of the case in June 2012. However, a further case was opened last December.

He said: “Investigations by the planning service have led to the recent submission of a retrospective application seeking consent for the display of an advert.”

Cllr Stops declined to comment because of the live planning application.

The Gazette contacted Blow Up Media but did not get a response.

Latest News Stories

Tue, 16:50
Dalston Lane last century.

Campaigners fighting to save Dalston’s Georgian houses from demolition have lost the latest stage in the 10-year battle.

Tue, 15:28
Georgia Michael

Police in Hackney are trying to locate a missing teenager.

Tue, 15:18
Vernon Williams' election campaign leaflet.

The Commissioner at a hearing into whether May’s elections in Hackney were conducted fairly has ruled that everything was above board.

Mon, 16:26
Fire fighters at a march to save Kingsland Fire Station before it closed.

Fire brigade response times have increased in 370 London wards since Boris Johnson’s decision to close fire stations, despite his assurance that there would be no increased threat to public safety.

Most read news

Up to 3,000 people took to the streets of London in vigils for Mike Brown which turned into a protest march down Oxford Street.

The NHS have introduced a new pill for those who struggle to screw the lid back on that bottle of wine.

Today the doctor has received an eight-year sentence for a string of offences.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hackney Gazette e-edition today E-edition