Search

Boris Johnson backs our Hackney Cycle Safe campaign

15:16 11 February 2011

LONDON - SEPTEMBER 01:  Mayor of London Boris Johnson leaves on his bike after walking along Kensington High Street speaking to members of the public regarding the western extension of the congestion charg zone on September 1, 2008 in London, England. The public consultation on the subject begins today and will last five weeks, with the Mayor of London inviting any Londoner with an opinion on the western extension to take part.  (Photo by Cate Gillon/Getty Images)

LONDON - SEPTEMBER 01: Mayor of London Boris Johnson leaves on his bike after walking along Kensington High Street speaking to members of the public regarding the western extension of the congestion charg zone on September 1, 2008 in London, England. The public consultation on the subject begins today and will last five weeks, with the Mayor of London inviting any Londoner with an opinion on the western extension to take part. (Photo by Cate Gillon/Getty Images)

2008 Getty Images

The Mayor of London has given his support to the Gazette’s Hackney Cycle Safe campaign this week and pledged to help reduce the number of collisions involving cyclists in the borough.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

The Mayor of London has given his support to the Gazette’s Hackney Cycle Safe campaign this week and pledged to help reduce the number of collisions involving cyclists in the borough.

Boris Johnson, who is famously a keen cyclist himself, said: “Whenever we have a cycling fatality in London it is a tragedy.

“Last year 10 cyclists were killed in the capital and TfL is doing its utmost to reduce that number.

“I hope everyone using the roads in Hackney will take time to consider and follow the three point pledge highlighted on these pages. My team will be in touch with the Gazette to see how we might assist them with their worthy campaign.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Fri, 16:22
Protesters demonstrate towards Downing Street against the house price rising in the New Era estate against the house price rising in the New Era estate

US investors that bought the New Era estate earlier this year and planned to evict 93 households by potentially trebling rent just before Christmas have now sold the site to an affordable housing provider.

Hackney Council released the personal and financial details of 15,000 residents online.

A massive blunder has seen the sensitive personal details of 15,000 Hackney residents – including address, sexuality and rent accounts – leaked online.

Joel Adesina was stabbed on December 5 in Padbury Court off Bethnal Green Road

A 20-year-old man will today appear in court charged with murdering Dagenham teenager Joel Adesina.

Wed, 15:21
The Metropolitan Police said McKoy hit his partner in the head with a hammer at least 17 times [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A Hackney man has been found guilty of battering his ex-partner to death with a hammer and slashing his baby daughter’s throat – whilst her elder daughter overheard the horrific events on the phone.

Most read news

And we were all invited to the happy couple’s big day!

And they have a role to play in saving their species.

Twinkle, twinkle you little stars – thanks for making your homes so festive.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hackney Gazette e-edition today E-edition