Search

XOYO sexual assault victim speaks out, claiming staff told her afterwards she was ‘dressed provocatively’

PUBLISHED: 16:28 18 July 2018 | UPDATED: 16:28 18 July 2018

XOYO.

XOYO.

Archant

The victim of a sexual assault at a Shoreditch nightclub claims staff told her she was “dressed provocatively” and shouldn’t have been alone.

She told the Gazette three men touched her and tried to put their hands down her underwear after she confronted them for harassing another woman at XOYO in Cowper Street last month.

But when she broke free and told staff, she says, they didn’t call police – and instead tried to blame her.

XOYO’s parent company the Columbo Group has repeatedly failed to answer this newspaper’s requests for comment on either the incident itself or how staff there are trained.

The victim said: “Where some of the staff were helpful and tried to calm me down, there were others who told me to stop causing a scene – they told me to leave and be quiet.

“There was also something said to the effect of ‘these things happen – boys will be boys’ and they said I was dressed provocatively and that I shouldn’t have been alone.”

There is limited CCTV but the victim believes the attack could have been stopped if security had been more attentive.

“I was flailing and resisting and there would have definitely been a commotion,” she said, “so if there had been a security guard on that floor who was paying attention I truly believe it would have been noticed and stopped.”

The victim now thinks the Columbo Group should review how it trains staff and consider installing more cameras.

She said: ”I’m a pretty stoic individual so I’m just doing what needs to be done and putting pressure on the club to review its training because obviously the staff response was less than adequate.”

In an email sent to the victim and her boyfriend, a spokeswoman for the group said: “We’ll be conducting an internal investigation to find out who the staff members were as well as the men involved.” The spokeswoman also said she would keep the pair updated on the investigation.

A Met spokeman said: “A female reported being the victim of a sexual assault by a group of unknown male suspects at a nightclub in Cowper Street. The victim decided against making a formal statement to police and the matter has been closed.”

Latest Hackney Stories

13:00

Clapton boss Jonny Fowell had plenty of praise for Barkingside manager Michael Walther despite sealing a 3-0 victory against his side on Friday evening.

Josh Coulson discussed coming up against two old team-mates and how O’s have a job to do

The Spurs forward reflected on the 2-1 win at Brighton & Hove Albion and the focus on his form

10:00

Middlesex captain Dawid Malan admitted his side didn’t bat well enough on day one of their County Championship Division Two match at Durham.

09:00

Amid an underwhelming season at Middlesex one man at least can allow himself a quiet smile of satisfaction.

07:51

Stuart Law will leave his role as West Indies head coach to take over at Middlesex from next season.

A tenant of Hackney Council has been forced to pay nearly £148,000, after an investigation found he had been illegally subletting his property whilst living elsewhere.

From start-ups to household names, the Gazette takes to the streets each week to find and profile a local business with a difference. This week we spoke to a Newington Green cobbler who has been fixing and flogging shoes to the community for the past 35 years.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now


Newsletter Sign Up

Hackney Gazette twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read news

Show Job Lists