Dalston protest: Two injured and one arrested as demo over death of Rashan Charles sees fires lit and bottles thrown

PUBLISHED: 10:48 29 July 2017 | UPDATED: 10:01 04 August 2017

The smashed screen of a police riot van in Dalston last night. Picture: Zoah Hedges-Stocks

The smashed screen of a police riot van in Dalston last night. Picture: Zoah Hedges-Stocks


Two people were injured in Dalston last night as a protest over the death of Rashan Charles saw mattresses burnt in the street, glass smashed and fireworks thrown.

Demonstrators had blocked off Kingsland Road at its junction with Middleton Road, near Yours Locally – the off-licence where Mr Charles was tackled and handcuffed by police hours before his death a week ago.

But the unrest heightened as night fell. Missiles were thrown at police as they tried to disperse the group. Mounted cops were scrambled for backup as windows were damaged and a cashpoint smashed.

Restaurants and bars pulled down their shutters, locking customers inside, as the protesters were pushed north up Kingsland High Street and beyond Dalston Kingsland Station.

One boy, 17, was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm. A cyclist was knocked off his bike and assaulted when he tried to get through the protest, police said, and a police officer suffered a minor eye injury.

The crowd dispersed at about 11.40pm.

Mr Charles’ father Esa is due to give a joint statement with Ginario Da Costa, the father of Edson Da Costa, outside Stoke Newington Police station at 2pm. Mr Da Costa died six days after he was detained by police during a traffic stop in Beckton on June 15.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is investigating both deaths. Police said Mr Charles tried to swallow an object as he was chased into the shop at about 1.45am on July 22. The IPCC said there was evidence that an object had been removed from his throat at the scene.

Last night’s violence broke out as a statement shared on the Justice for Rashan Facebook page, purportedly from Mr Charles’ family, urged those affected by his death to be peaceful. “We appreciate all support,” it said, “but any hostile actions or other events, at this stage, that may risk detracting from our current co-operative engagement with the Independent Police Complaints Commission and Metropolitan Police is unwelcome.”

The statement added: “We ask that all parties respect out current approach in the aftermath of this tragic event. We are speaking and meeting directly with the independent investigators (IPCC), allowing reasonable time for meaningful progress.

“Be assured we are determined to get answers as to how and why this fatality occurred.

“We will achieve this by acting within the law, and ensure there is individual and organised accountability.”

Protesters yesterday afternoon had stopped vehicles passing the road, with some getting into stand-offs with motorcyclists as they tried to edge past. Soon police had blocked off the A10 either side and were diverting traffic away.

Hours later, protesters – some wearing masks – jumped on to a lorry which drove through, and clung to its wing mirrors as it hit the bins lined up in its path.

A man sat on one bin, which was pushed along by the vehicle, while another clambered on to its roof as it continued to drive, it is said.

It eventually came to a stop, with its window and windscreen smashed, but its driver left the scene after speaking to police.

As night fell, mattresses and bins forming part of the barricade were set on fire and riot police moved in.

Yours Locally declared yesterday it would be shut as a mark of respect. It was set to reopen this morning.

In a statement attached to its shutters, staff wrote: “One week on from the terrible event that took place in our store, as a mark of respect for Rashan Charles our store will be closed on Friday.”

The shop had remained open in the days following Mr Charles’ death – including on Monday, when a protest at Stoke Newington police station marched back down the road for speeches outside the shop.

Det Supt Claire Crawley said today: “The disorder of last night was separate from the peaceful protest at Stoke Newington Police Station that was held earlier that day.

“Thankfully, nobody was seriously injured, but there was inconvenience to local residents and road users and damage caused to vehicles, a cash machine and a number of windows.

“We will always support the right to lawful protest but behaviour such as that seen last night cannot be tolerated.”

Related articles


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hackney Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hackney Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hackney Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Hackney Stories

The O’s were forced to make a late change to their starting XI, but it failed to prevent them from securing a second consecutive 1-0 away win

22 minutes ago

A controversial licensing policy is set to be signed off tonight introducing a midnight curfew for new pubs, clubs and bars – unless landlords can convince the council they won’t be a nuisance.


A man from Stamford Hill has been charged following a police probe into sales of knock-off medicine.


A Canonbury crook who used his stolen moped to do a series of phone thefts across Islington and Hackney was yesterday jailed.

Yesterday, 23:06

In the week of the Carabao Cup final read the first in our series detailing previous Arsenal League Cup finals by talking to the people who were there. Kicking off is loyal long-term fan Martin Wengrow – who is in his 65th year of supporting the Gunners and has watched nearly 2,000 matches – as he recalls the 1968 Wembley showpiece against Leeds United.

Yesterday, 21:45

National League: Chester 0 Leyton Orient 1

For the majority of Arsenal fans a Wembley cup final is something to be savoured. However a long-serving season ticket holder from Islington, Glenn Allen is so disenchanted with Arsene Wenger he is boycotting the Carabao Cup showpiece against Manchester City on Sunday. Read on for his explanation which will shock many but perhaps strike a chord with some.

Yesterday, 18:10

Business chiefs have welcomed the news that the Night Overground service is extending to Canonbury and Highbury and Islington from Friday.


To celebrate LGBT history month, Hackney resident Amanda talks about her journey to becoming a foster carer, with the council’s support and training.

Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists