Search

Death Row Dinners cancelled following “serious threatening behaviour”

PUBLISHED: 12:48 23 September 2014 | UPDATED: 13:56 23 September 2014

The pop-up in Hoxton Square was due to run from October 24 to November 29 (Picture: Death Row Dinners)

The pop-up in Hoxton Square was due to run from October 24 to November 29 (Picture: Death Row Dinners)

Archant

The organiser of a restaurant selling dinners requested by death row prisoners has cancelled the event after receiving threats against himself and potential guests.

Last week Death Row Dinners came under fire for the concept, which was going to charge clients £50 for a five- course “feast” of some of death row’s “most interesting and popular last dinners” when it opened next month in Hoxton Square.

The organiser vowed to plough ahead, despite calls for the “appallingly bad taste” pop-up to shut before it had even opened.

The event was being promoted with black and white mugshots of men, apparently prisoners, displaying their last meal wishes on menus draped around their necks.

The immersive experience promised “inmates” the chance to “experience a night behind the bars of one of London’s toughest high security restaurants”, warning them to be prepared to be “charged, sentenced, searched and frisked”.

Human rights group Amnesty International branded the death penalty as the “ultimate denial of human rights”, and work for it to be abolished in countries where it still exists, such as the USA, Iran, Iraq, China and Saudi Arabia,

Its spokesman Niall Couper said he could not think of anything more likely to put you off your food. “We thought Death Row Dinners had to be a spoof, it’s hard to believe someone would choose that as a theme in real life,” he said. “It is in appallingly bad taste.”

However after an angry barrage of criticism on Twitter, the organisers said they were “shocked and saddened” by the response and were sorry for any offence caused, saying they were considering their next steps.

A couple of days later they decided to go ahead anyway, and in a statement issued on their website they said they had been expecting some negativity: “The severity of the reaction is not at all surprising in the current world of instant outrage but cancelling the event only supports this short-termism infecting the population.

“If you don’t like it, it’s very simple, just don’t go.

“Death Row Dinners was created to appeal to an audience who would not be offended by the concept. It seems there are plenty of people out there who aren’t, because they are buying tickets and supporting us.”

But over the weekend the restaurant’s website and its Twitter account were shut down, and the promoter has confirmed the event has been cancelled due to “serious threatening behaviour”.

She said: “As his own (the orgniser) personal safety and the safety of the guests is at risk the event can no longer go ahead.“

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hackney Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hackney Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hackney Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Hackney News Stories

26 minutes ago

There is competition in the air at the Gazette offices as staff vie for the premier position in the Hackney Half Marathon.

The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting and unusual new businesses in Hackney. This week we speak to Gill Wildman who followed her own advice when it came to setting up her new business.

Pupils from Tayyibah Girls School created ‘This is your Life’ style autobiographies for elderly patients at St Joseph’s Hospice in an inter-generational project.

07:00

Diane Abbott met “inspirational” mechanic Errol McKellar at his Hackney garage after being inspired by a speech he gave about his battle with prostate cancer.

Yesterday, 16:15

A congregation of 300 was evacuated from Wesley’s Chapel yesterday, when the electrical room in its basement caught fire because of a faulty fuse box.

Yesterday, 11:59

Two budding Elizabethan ‘Bards’ have won the poetry competition for the visitor centre opening at The Stage development in Shoreditch where the foundations of Shakespeare’s Curtain Theatre were discovered in 2008.

Yesterday, 09:02

Three mentors are being trained up to inspire vulnerable young women in Hackney who are at risk of being drawn into violent crime and gang-related exploitation.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

More than 100 independent firms in Hackney will be offering incentives to get people to recycle more.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists