Search

Hackney schools expel EIGHT children 11 and under

PUBLISHED: 12:33 27 July 2016 | UPDATED: 12:33 27 July 2016

Eight primary school pupils were thrown out of schools last year. Picture: PA

Eight primary school pupils were thrown out of schools last year. Picture: PA

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Eight primary school children were thrown out of Hackney schools last year, a new league table of shame has revealed.

Most were thrown out for persistent disruptive behaviour, according to figures released on Thursday by the Department for Education (DfE) – but Hackney Council said it would be “inappropriate” to reveal why exactly children aged 11 and younger were permanently excluded.

The figure was the highest recorded by any other London borough, many of which recorded no permanent exclusions at primary schools.

The report also showed that more Hackney pupils were suspended than anywhere else in central London during the 2014/2015 academic year.

A total of 1,720 fixed-term exclusions were handed to Hackney pupils at primary and secondary schools last year, placing it in the bottom five for the whole capital.

A council spokeswoman said it had put in a place a “No Need to Exclude” strategy to slash the number of exclusions.

She said: “Whilst we acknowledge exclusion levels remain high in the borough, our vision is for all children and young people in Hackney to be purposefully engaged in an educational programme appropriate to their needs and age.”

Latest Hackney Stories

15:08

Tottenham are preparing to face “the best team in Europe” on Saturday, but their manager is going to the Etihad to win

14:00

Clapton boss Jonny Fowell wants his side to get on a winning run to keep their chances of the Essex Senior League title alive.

13:30

Lisa Wilson spoke of her late son Tom’s decision to donate his organs this week as health secretary Jeremy Hunt launched a new opt-out plan in England, writes Lee Power.

13:00

Leyton Orient look to avoid an FA Trophy giant-killing when they visit Haringey Borough in the first round on Saturday.

11:35

For this week’s Friday Q&A we have an old school Arsenal fan and passionate Trade Unionist Frank Radcliffe. There can’t be many Gooners still attending who went to the Winterslag away game but loyal Frank was one of them. Read on for his strong views on the club – as well as being held up at gunpoint as an innocent bystander by German police after Sergio Tacchini gear disappeared on a pre-season trip to Bochum in the 1980s...

15:33

Sadiq Khan was in Mare Street this morning to launch his new campaign tackling rough sleeping at St Mungo’s hostel.

10:36

England failed to cash in on centuries from Middlesex’s Dawid Malan and Jonny Bairstow as familiar problems persisted on a fluctuating second day in the third Ashes Test.

09:35

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has given his weekly press conference at London Colney. Read on for his views on injuries ahead of Newcastle United, the Arsenal Foundation, the latest on Jack WIlshere, Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez’s contract situation and much more.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists