Search

“Best Christmas present ever” for Veolia campaigners

PUBLISHED: 09:36 27 December 2012

Campaigners who spent two years vociferously campaigning to block Veolia’s for a multi-million pound deal are celebrating their best Christmas present ever, after the waste company dropped out of the tender.

Veolia was down to the last two bidders for the North London Waste Authority’s £4.7bn waste services and fuel use contract – but the No 2 Veolia Action Group (No2VAG) said the company should be blacklisted because it provides transport, waste, sewage and water services to Jewish settlements in Palestine, which are considered illegal under international law.

The shock news Veolia had withdrawn from the tender process came last Friday, and it is unclear why the decision was made.

The deal, involving seven London boroughs which will cost Hackney £600 million, hit the headlines this month after No2VAG spokeswoman and Hackney resident Caroline Day was blocked from making a five-minute speech at a Hackney Council meeting.

David Lewis, secretary and treasurer of pro-Israeli group Lawyers for Israel, went on to claim silencing her as a ‘victory’, after the Labour party supported Tory Cllr Linda Kelly’s motion to block the speech in a whipped vote.

Veolia declined to comment to the Gazette about why it had dropped out from the tender, and refused to categorically deny it had anything to do with the Israeli settlements controversy.

Ms Day said her group is “absolutely delighted” and lauded the move as a “huge victory for local democracy”.

“Powerful lobbies representing unethical interests in the illegal settlements may have won a short-term victory in silencing me, but in standing up for their right to see their money invested ethically, local people have achieved a victory for justice for the Palestinian people,” she said.

“This really has been the result of very determined collective campaigning across the seven boroughs and huge credit goes to our chair Yael Kahn who has dedicated her life to this for two years,” she added.

The NLWA had been due to take a decision on the tender earlier this month, but bidders were asked to resubmit their tenders and the final choice had been postponed until March.

The NLWA said that Veolia confirmed its withdrawal “has no bearing on the quality and integrity of the projects,” and its chair Cllr Loakes added: “Although it is disappointing that we will not receive competitive bids, we will now work with remaining bidders and undertake work ourselves to ensure that we are still able to deliver long term, sustainable services that are the best possible in both quality and cost terms, and that value for money is delivered for tax payers.”

0 comments

Latest Hackney News Stories

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Emma Bartholomew spent a night on “vice patrol” with police officers in Brownswood ward. This week, we focus on the women selling sex. Next week, we will look at how the men who buy it are dealt with.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Three men from Tower Hamlets have been jailed for running a ‘drugs hotline service’ where they delivered to the Hoxton area after taking orders over the phone.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Hundreds of teachers, students and parents flocked to Hackney’s parks this afternoon to protest against funding cuts to schools across the borough.

Friday, May 26, 2017

The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting and unusual new businesses in Hackney. This week we speak to Tim Soar about his high-end sports brand.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Emma Bartholomew finds out more about the not-very-well documented history of Ridley Road Market after coming across a Gazette article dating back 60 years to its 30th birthday – give or take

Friday, May 26, 2017

Hackney North and Stoke Newington candidates locked horns at a packed hustings to debate the unprecedented challenges currently being faced by schools.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Each week, the Gazette takes to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Hackney. This week we spoke to Ben Kulchstein who single-handedly pumps out hundreds of bottles of his chilli sauces every week.

Friday, May 26, 2017

A Catholic priest who repeatedly raped and assaulted boys is facing jail.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists