Search

Hackney Council bans strip clubs and sex shops

22:56 26 January 2011

© under license to London News Pictures. Strip club dancers campaign against a proposed ban in Hackney, London, outside the town hall (09/12/10). Photo credit should read: Olivia Harris/ London News Pictures

© under license to London News Pictures. Strip club dancers campaign against a proposed ban in Hackney, London, outside the town hall (09/12/10). Photo credit should read: Olivia Harris/ London News Pictures

©under licence to London News Pictures. 59 Jeddo Road London W12 9ED +44 (0)208 354 4272 (mobile 07940573941) press@londonnewspictures.co.uk

Councillors agree to amended ‘nil’ policy despite residents’ opposition

Hackney councillors tonight (Wed) agreed to ban future strip clubs and sex shops from the borough, despite opposition from workers and residents.

All but two councillors in attendance at the town hall voted for an amended ‘nil’ licensing policy on sex entertainment establishments.

More than 66 per cent of people who took part in the council’s own consultation on the plans said ‘no’ to the ‘nil’ policy.

The decision means that strip clubs, sex shops and sex cinemas will be outlawed from all of Hackney’s wards with the exception of “well-run, longstanding” establishments, after the licensing committee amended the proposals.

Hackney currently has four strip clubs – Ye Olde Axe and Browns in Hackney Road and Rainbow Sports Bar and The White Horse in Shoreditch High Street – along with sex shop Expectations in Great Eastern Street, all of which are in Haggerston ward.

Hackney Central ward councillor Vincent Stopps welcomed the policy.

He said: “I’m really happy to support this. Because of it, I’m going to get a lot less grief about strip clubs and bars opening in my ward so thank you very much.”

Cllr Geoff Taylor of Victoria ward, who was joined only by Cllr Angus Mulready-Jones in voting against the policy, said: “I still do not believe that a nil policy will protect the freedom and safety of women.

“Without the resources to police the nil policy, there’s a risk it will simply drive the businesses underground.”

Clubs owners, dancers and DJs have hit out at the policy.

Jennifer Richardson, a pole dancer a Browns, said: “I’m disgusted but not surprised.

“I think most of them had already made up their minds.”

3 comments

  • What a disgraceful spineless decision by the councillors. The constituents are clearly more enlightened than those who represent them yet only two councillors had the bravery to put their head above the parapet on an admittedly difficult moral issue and heed the views of the consultation. I can speak with some insight on this. I have been to these establishments on a number of occasions. I have never witnessed any acts of impropriety, I have never seen any woman being mistreated, I have never had a single negative experience. Oh the shock of it all. I am a left of centre, Guardian-reading male who once in a while chooses to spend some of my hard-earned money in one of these clubs that misguided, blinkered councillors would have us believe are dens of iniquity. I resent the fact that these people have chosen to ignore the wishes of the majority and taken the easy way out, in the process putting many, many women out of work as well. Quite simply, a disgrace.

    Report this comment

    Matt

    Sunday, January 30, 2011

  • Cllr Geoff Taylor pointed out, it was “a consultation, not a referendum.” Ah, so that means that as you are not legally bound to heed the wishes of your constituents, you are free to disregard them at will? This is a disgusting abuse of power, used to implement an illiberal, ignorant and unnecessary policy. All those who voted for this should hang their heads in shame; those who enforced the party whip doubly so.

    Report this comment

    Anttix

    Friday, January 28, 2011

  • Cllr Stopps seems to have missed the point of the consultation. It was to find out what the majority wanted not the vocal minority that means he has to do some work. A councillor who backs a policy because he gets a lot less grief? Nice to see where his priorities lay. This just shows a complete lack of respect for the people of the borough. Those coumcillors who represent Haggerston how can you justify voting for a policy that in the short term only provides a respite for the venues and no doubt in a year or two there will be changes to the policy which forces the venue to close? You were overwhelmingly told that your ward was against the nil policy. Not exactly making an effort are we?

    Report this comment

    Tony N

    Thursday, January 27, 2011

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Latest Hackney News Stories

Yesterday, 18:56
Judith Nibbs. Picture: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire

.

A man has described the chilling moment he cut off his partner’s head and flushed it down the toilet because she had “betrayed” him.

Yesterday, 15:42
Family homes are being converted to attract more housing benefit

Hackney council have slammed landlords who use “totally unacceptable” legal loopholes to make millions off housing benefits while delivering shoddy accommodation.

Yesterday, 08:52
These two men attempted to snatch a mobile phone in Linthorpe Road, Stamford Hill. Picture: @Shomrim

Two masked thugs were seen riding off on bikes after attempting to snatch a mobile phone from someone in Stamford Hill.

Mon, 17:26
Derek spent 30 years creating his encyclopaedia

A historian who spent 30 years creating an incredible encyclopaedia – described as the “Holy Grail” of all things Stoke Newington – has died aged 80.

Mon, 13:34
10 firefighters from Homerton tackled the blaze. Picture: @LondonFire

Two men had to be rescued from a flat after a carelessly discarded cigarette sent it up in flames.

Mon, 10:45
Emeka Egbuonu is a youth worker, author, lecturer and public speaker from Hoxton

Teenagers from Hackney are often stereotyped, but author, lecturer and youth worker Emeka Egbuonu says people have the wrong idea about our youngsters – and he should know.

Sunday, April 3, 2016
Lyrikal on The Voice

A beat boxer from Hackney has been knocked out of The Voice singing talent show, after getting through as one of the last eight contestants to sing on the live semi-finals on the BBC on Saturday night.

Friday, April 1, 2016
Peter Kerrigan. Ref: 01GN/474434

These are Hackney’s top 10 most wanted, who are being hunted by police in connection with a host of serious crimes.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Thomas Cook Holidays

Holidays are expensive, there’s just no getting away from it. The problem is, we all love going on them. But with the day to day grind and austerity that has gripped the nation; a week away each year is often bottom of the priority list. Step in MyOffers to save the day, with this great competition to win a whopping £3,000 to spend at Thomas Cook.

£3,000 goes a very long way at Lidl's

What with you do with a colossal £3,000 to spend in a supermarket? Carefully plan each weeks shopping to make sure you got the most for your money? Or go wild in the aisles and get all the supplies you need to have a party?

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Hackney Gazette
e-edition today

Subscribe