Search

Hackney due to get footbridge between Overground and National rail stations

10:18 10 February 2014

An image of the proposed footbridge between Hackney Central overground and Hackney Downs railway station

An image of the proposed footbridge between Hackney Central overground and Hackney Downs railway station

Archant

Commuters are set to benefit from a footbridge between two Hackney train stations.

The council’s planning committee approved TfL’s application to build a footbridge between Hackney Central Overground station in Amhurst Road and Hackney Downs rail station in Dalston Lane on Wednesday.

Proposals include the construction of a part low-level and part high-level passenger walkway between platform two at Hackney Central Overground station and platform one at Hackney Downs rail station, as well as a staircase and lift.

TfL say footpath will cut across Malpas Close and Poulton Close, reducing the route between the two stations from 600 metres to 200. This would not impact the travelling time, which is currently about five minutes.

An estimated 165,000 people a year take the street level route to change between the two stations.

With Hackney Downs station coming into the Overground network from the end of 2015, TfL expect the number people using the footbridge to increase by an additional 150,000 passengers in its first year.

Five letters of objections were received in response to the proposals.

The main objections included noise, the reduction in size of a children’s playground in Marcon Place, which would need to be closed during construction work. There were also concerns the number of car parking spaces at Hackney Central Overground station would be reduced.

Hackney Central ward cllr Vincent Stops welcomed the news. He said: “It is quite exciting that this proposal remakes an historic connection between Hackney Central and Hackney Downs stations that was lost in 1944. It will greatly benefit Hackney residents and those visiting Hackney Central town centre. Now permission has been obtained I am determined that Marcon and Aspland Estate benefits both in terms of the re-provision of play facilities and that the green wall and tree cover really improves the outlook of residents and reduces train noise, a long standing issue for the estate.”

Transport for London’s director of London Overground, Mike Stubbs, said: “The new covered walkway between Hackney Downs and Hackney Central stations is part of TfL’s wider objective to make all of its rail stations more accessible, more secure and easier to use. The Hackney Interchange will reduce journey times by making it much quicker and easier for passengers wanting to change between West Anglia services and the London Overground network and so give them new options on how they complete their journeys. Interchanging at Hackney will also reduce congestion at Liverpool Street station, which is currently where many passengers travel before changing to other services.”

Construction is expected to start in spring or summer this year and take nine months to complete.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 19:00
Macron Place

A housing developer is working to tackle Hackney’s housing crisis by targeting Londoners who are priced out of the affordable property market and salaried out of social housing.

Yesterday, 18:05
Firefighters went on strike at 6pm today.

Firefighters in Hackney have gone on strike this evening as part of a long-running dispute with the government over pension reforms.

Yesterday, 16:52
James Petevinou was convicted of one count of harassment

A detective based in Stoke Newington has been convicted of harassing a woman earlier this year.

Yesterday, 15:35
.Creative Unity steel band banging the drum for Vicky Park

The People of London’s East End have been banging the drum to celebrate their favourite Victoria Park topping the Green Flag poll as Britain’s best public space.

Most read news

“Space is hard and today was a tough day.”

One pilot is dead and another seriously injured after the craft exploded over the Mojave desert.

One pilot has died and another is seriously injured after a rocket belonging to billionaire Sir Richard Branson’s space tourism venture crashed during a test flight. Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo rocket came down in the Mojave Desert in California. An eyewitness reported that the craft exploded in flight after ignition. A Virgin Galactic spokesman said the […]

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Hackney Gazette e-edition today E-edition