Search

Historian mocks up incredible images of old Stoke Newington

PUBLISHED: 14:15 17 October 2016 | UPDATED: 14:55 17 October 2016

The Rose & Crown at its original location in Stoke Newington Church Street before it was rebuilt in the early 1930’s across the street when the junction was widened.

The Rose & Crown at its original location in Stoke Newington Church Street before it was rebuilt in the early 1930’s across the street when the junction was widened.

Archant

Ever wondered about the history of Stoke Newington’s grand old buildings? Well now you can quite literally take a glimpse into the past.

'The Invalid Asylum for the Recovery of the Health of Respectable Women in 1890 at 187 Stoke Newington High Street.'The Invalid Asylum for the Recovery of the Health of Respectable Women in 1890 at 187 Stoke Newington High Street.

Historian Amir Dotan has produced a collection of incredible collages on his computer to illustrate how the streets of Stokey once looked, before buildings were demolished, restored or in some cases, bombed during the Blitz.

Using the wonders of modern technology, Amir’s images show pubs, cinemas, churches, shops and even an invalid asylum, which is now a Thai restaurant.

109 Stoke Newington Church Street, which still stands today.109 Stoke Newington Church Street, which still stands today.

Amir, who posts on Twitter as HistoryOfStokey, told the Gazette: “I’ve always been amazed by just how much Stoke Newington’s streets have changed over the decades as a result of the Blitz and urban development, so I decided to superimpose old photos on today’s view to make that transformation apparent for others to appreciate and learn about.”

Abney Congregational Church stood in Church St opposite the cemetery (built 1869). It was bombed during the Second World War and r
ebuilt in a simpler style years later.Abney Congregational Church stood in Church St opposite the cemetery (built 1869). It was bombed during the Second World War and r ebuilt in a simpler style years later.

Abney House (1700-1843) was a Church Street mansion which stood where the cemetery is today. Its iron gateway is still there.Abney House (1700-1843) was a Church Street mansion which stood where the cemetery is today. Its iron gateway is still there.

Astra Cinema (1913-1983) 117 Stoke Newington Road.Astra Cinema (1913-1983) 117 Stoke Newington Road.

Kennaway Hall was a large Church Street mansion in Paradise Row opposite Clissold Park. It was demolished in 1953.Kennaway Hall was a large Church Street mansion in Paradise Row opposite Clissold Park. It was demolished in 1953.

Marks & Spencer, 156 Stoke Newington High St (1914-1972). Archive picture: M&S Company Archive.Marks & Spencer, 156 Stoke Newington High St (1914-1972). Archive picture: M&S Company Archive.

Stoke Newington Road looking north. Wellington Road on the right is no longer there and was demolished to make way for Somerford Grove Estate.Stoke Newington Road looking north. Wellington Road on the right is no longer there and was demolished to make way for Somerford Grove Estate.

The Alexandra Theatre and Opera House, 65 & 67 Stoke Newington Road. Opened in 1897. It was demolished in 1959.The Alexandra Theatre and Opera House, 65 & 67 Stoke Newington Road. Opened in 1897. It was demolished in 1959.

The Coliseum Cinema (1913-1972) at 31-33 Stoke Newington Road. It was demolished in 2001.The Coliseum Cinema (1913-1972) at 31-33 Stoke Newington Road. It was demolished in 2001.

The Red Lion pub in Church Street. It was rebuilt in the 1924 when Lordship Road was widened.The Red Lion pub in Church Street. It was rebuilt in the 1924 when Lordship Road was widened.

The Three Crowns pub (175 Stoke Newington High Street) in the mid 19th century before it was rebuilt.The Three Crowns pub (175 Stoke Newington High Street) in the mid 19th century before it was rebuilt.

The White Hart Hotel, 69 Stoke Newington High Street.The White Hart Hotel, 69 Stoke Newington High Street.

West Hackney Church, Stoke Newington Road at the juncton with Amhurst Road. It was built in 1824, bombed in 1940 and rebuilt in the 1960s.West Hackney Church, Stoke Newington Road at the juncton with Amhurst Road. It was built in 1824, bombed in 1940 and rebuilt in the 1960s.

Related articles

1 comment

  • These are great, the old Regents Cinema Theatre in Stamford Hill was a beauty too. It's now a Sainsburys.

    Report this comment

    powerchord_666

    Thursday, October 20, 2016

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Latest Hackney Stories

17:43

Middlesex left-arm spinner Ravi Patel claimed a career-best 7-81 as 13 wickets fell on an action-packed first day of the Specsavers County Championship relegation battle with Somerset at Taunton.

One-time Benin international aware of competition in his position and knows the only way he will start for O’s is by taking his chances

17:00

The largest UK exhibition of American artist Jean-Michel Basquiat​ opens at the Barbican

16:22

The club night at The Yard in Hackney Wick raises money and awareness for Abortion Support Network, who assist people from Ireland and Northern Ireland in traveling to access a safe and legal abortion

FA Women’s Super League 2: Durham Women 2 Tottenham Hotspur Ladies 1

18:02

A grieving Dalston builder whose brother died after sustaining horrific burns in the street has appealed for information about his final hours.

12:00

Belgium defender full of praise for Spurs playmaker and has seen him make big steps forward in recent years

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists