Search

Neighbours say illegal housing block in Hoxton is ‘getting taller’

PUBLISHED: 09:12 02 May 2017 | UPDATED: 11:49 06 July 2017

The illegal block is surrounded by scaffolding. Picture: Catherine Davison

The illegal block is surrounded by scaffolding. Picture: Catherine Davison

Archant

A brazen developer who was let off the hook after building an illegal block of flats in Hoxton has now made it even taller, according to disbelieving neighbours.

Planning permission has not yet been granted for the modified plans. Picture: Catherine Davison Planning permission has not yet been granted for the modified plans. Picture: Catherine Davison

Yusuf Sarodia was fined a record-breaking £700,000 in December 2015 for constructing a 34-flat tower in Stanway Street with no planning permission.

He was initially told to tear it down, but last year he came back with a modified bid and the town hall said if he made “substantial changes” he wouldn’t have to bulldoze it. But that application hasn’t been accepted yet, and the town hall has now told him to stop the construction work immediately.

Kevin Durrant, vice-chair of the Arden Estate Tenant Management Organisation, said Sarodia was “doing whatever he wanted”.

“He’s put a big wall up around it but it looks like it’s got higher rather than lower. It seems to have the same number of floors but he’s now putting a roof on it. We can’t really see it but someone round the back said it’s some sort of pointed roof.”

Kevin is still unhappy at the decision allowing the building to stay standing, and says unless the height is reduced whoever moves in will be staring directly into the bedrooms of people in his block.

He said: “It’s so far out of sync with the rest of the buildings. Work has been going on for six months but nothing has changed. They haven’t addressed the privacy issue – people will still be looking into our bedrooms when they move in.

“He should have to take a floor off it so it’s level with other buildings.

“Hackney Council seems to fob it off all the time, and let him get away with whatever he likes. He never seems to be accountable.”

Housing boss Kim Wright said: “We’re aware some works appear to have recently started. The developer has been told to stop all work until the required planning permission is in place. They have also been told any works undertaken without permission are entirely at their own risk. We won’t hesitate to take enforcement action if required.”

Related articles

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hackney Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hackney Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hackney Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Hackney Stories

With the travel chaos caused through snowstorms and artic-like conditions read how one intrepid Arsenal fan – Danny Coyle, aka Grampian Gooner – made it from Scotland to the south coast for the game at Southampton on Sunday.

Yesterday, 14:45

Arsene Wenger lamented another sluggish start that led to Arsenal dropping points for a second week in succession following a 1-1 draw at Southampton.

Yesterday, 14:14

Olivier Giroud climbed off the bench to rescue a point for Arsenal at Southampton.

Yesterday, 13:06

Weather warnings have been issued across London following heavy snowfall overnight and this morning.

Tottenham Hotspur returned to form in the Premier League, but the Potters are in a worrying slump after this latest heavy defeat

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 5 Stoke City 1

Saturday, December 9, 2017

The O’s put four past Sutton United and delivered an impressive performance at E10 to leave their new head coach a very happy man

Saturday, December 9, 2017

National League: Leyton Orient 4 Sutton United 1

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists