Search

Plans to re-clad Landmark Heights, Lower Clapton, shelved in light of deadly Grenfell Tower blaze

PUBLISHED: 18:21 16 June 2017 | UPDATED: 10:45 29 June 2017

Landmark Heights in Daubeney Road will no longer be re-clad until more is known about the Grenfell Tower blaze, its owner said today. Picture: Tom Horton

Landmark Heights in Daubeney Road will no longer be re-clad until more is known about the Grenfell Tower blaze, its owner said today. Picture: Tom Horton

Archant

Plans to re-clad a Lower Clapton tower block have been shelved following the devastating Grenfell Tower blaze that left more than 100 dead, missing or injured.

Landmark Heights in Daubeney Road will no longer be re-clad until more is known about the Grenfell Tower blaze, its owner said today. Picture: Tom Horton Landmark Heights in Daubeney Road will no longer be re-clad until more is known about the Grenfell Tower blaze, its owner said today. Picture: Tom Horton

Confirmation came today from the manager of Landmark Heights in Daubeney Road after the people living there raised concerns about work that was proposed.

A deadly fire consumed the west London block in the early hours of Wednesday. So far 30 have been confirmed dead but the number is expected to rise significantly as searches progress.

More than 70 people are still unaccounted for while 12 more are fighting for their lives.

The aluminium compound material on that building, which had flammable plastic insulation underneath, may have contributed to the spread of the blaze, it is claimed.

Landmark Heights is privately owned but was originally built by the council. Picture: Tom Horton Landmark Heights is privately owned but was originally built by the council. Picture: Tom Horton

It is not known what material had been earmarked for re-cladding Landmark Heights and no planning applications had yet been submitted.

“Obviously me and all the other residents are opposed to cladding being put up on the outside of the building after what has happened this week,” said one resident of Landmark Heights today.

Marcus Bastel, another resident, said: “Me and my girlfriend were watching the news and feeling a bit freaked out about being sat in a very similar looking tower block.

“Obviously they should think carefully before doing any more work on the building and safety definitely needs to be thought about.”

"We have shelved our plans to clad the outside of the building until more is known about what went on at Grenfell Tower."

Solomon Mozes

Solomon Mozes of property management company KMP Solutions, said: “We have shelved our plans to clad the outside of the building until more is known about what went on at Grenfell Tower.

“We’ll have to wait and see what comes out about what went wrong in west London and revaluate how we look to improve the block.”

Landmark Heights is privately owned, but Hackney Council will also be reevaluating fire safety in its own tower blocks. It said earlier this week all fire risk assessments in were up to date.

Mayor Philip Glanville said on Wednesday: “We have invested significantly in the last five years to upgrade lighting and fire alarms in communal areas, and hardwire smoke alarms in properties and those in communal areas, while upgrading all our stock to ensure that it meets fire regulations.

Landmark Heights in Daubeney Road will no longer be re-clad until more is known about the Grenfell Tower blaze, its owner said today. Picture: Tom Horton Landmark Heights in Daubeney Road will no longer be re-clad until more is known about the Grenfell Tower blaze, its owner said today. Picture: Tom Horton

“Despite this we cannot afford to be complacent, and will apply and lessons learned or recommendations arising from this terrible accident.”

Related articles

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hackney Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hackney Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hackney Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Hackney Stories

15:08

Tottenham are preparing to face “the best team in Europe” on Saturday, but their manager is going to the Etihad to win

14:00

Clapton boss Jonny Fowell wants his side to get on a winning run to keep their chances of the Essex Senior League title alive.

13:30

Lisa Wilson spoke of her late son Tom’s decision to donate his organs this week as health secretary Jeremy Hunt launched a new opt-out plan in England, writes Lee Power.

13:00

Leyton Orient look to avoid an FA Trophy giant-killing when they visit Haringey Borough in the first round on Saturday.

11:35

For this week’s Friday Q&A we have an old school Arsenal fan and passionate Trade Unionist Frank Radcliffe. There can’t be many Gooners still attending who went to the Winterslag away game but loyal Frank was one of them. Read on for his strong views on the club – as well as being held up at gunpoint as an innocent bystander by German police after Sergio Tacchini gear disappeared on a pre-season trip to Bochum in the 1980s...

15:33

Sadiq Khan was in Mare Street this morning to launch his new campaign tackling rough sleeping at St Mungo’s hostel.

10:36

England failed to cash in on centuries from Middlesex’s Dawid Malan and Jonny Bairstow as familiar problems persisted on a fluctuating second day in the third Ashes Test.

09:35

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has given his weekly press conference at London Colney. Read on for his views on injuries ahead of Newcastle United, the Arsenal Foundation, the latest on Jack WIlshere, Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez’s contract situation and much more.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists