Search

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park to host cancer fundraising walks

PUBLISHED: 12:00 10 February 2018

Wayne Sleep Picture: Prostate Cancer UK

Wayne Sleep Picture: Prostate Cancer UK

Prostate Cancer UK

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is set to play host to two walking events in a bid to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK.

The first, the London March for Men, will see participants take on a 2km, 5km or 10km trek around the park.

The event, on June 16, will be led by professional dancer and Celebrity Big Brother contestant Wayne Sleep, who was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2015.

He said: “I was one of the lucky ones – thankfully my prostate cancer was detected early and I received treatment before it spread elsewhere.

“But thousands of other men are not so lucky, every year prostate cancer continues to claim the lives of nearly 12,000 fathers, brothers, partners, and friends and this must stop.”

The number of men dying from prostate cancer has recently overtaken the number of women dying from breast cancer, making it the third biggest killer cancer in the country.

More than 4,800 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer in London each year, with almost 900 dying from it.

The second event, the Football March for Men, will see fans set out from four grounds, including the London Stadium, and walk towards Wembley Stadium.

The march to the arch, which will take place on July 22, will also have starting points at Millwall, St Albans City and Sutton United’s grounds.

It will see fans walk past other clubs on the 26 mile routes and converge close to the home of football.

Prostate Cancer UK’s chief executive, Angela Culhane said:

“One man dies every 45 minutes from prostate cancer, and we now know this disease is the third biggest cancer killer. That’s unacceptable.

“We need to turn that around and the wonderful efforts of Wayne and everyone who has walked for us previously have laid the foundations.

“Thanks to the money raised we can fund more ground-breaking research, and it will also help us provide dedicated support and information to men and their families and make prostate cancer a disease the next generation of men need not fear.

“These walks are the perfect way to take a step in the right direction.”

For more information or to sign up to either of the walks, visit prostatecanceruk.org/march.

Latest Hackney Stories

52 minutes ago

Middlesex batsman Max Holden believes his side can go on and win their County Championship Division Two match at Northamptonshire on Wednesday.

Yesterday, 18:46

County Championship Division Two, day three: Northamptonshire (346) trail Middlesex (187 & 374-9) by 215 runs

Yesterday, 18:27

Four former friends on trial for murder have turned against each other in the dock at the Old Bailey, with one accused of calling another a “snitch” in graffiti on a prison toilet wall.

Yesterday, 18:00

London Lions have captured six foot ten inch big man Kervin Bristol in a massive coup for the club following his season with Vytautas in Lithuania last year.

Yesterday, 17:00

The former Spurs striker enjoyed a two-and-a-half year spell at White Hart Lane

Yesterday, 16:59

Gillett Square in Dalston hosted an annual skateboarding festival at the weekend, raising £1,750 for a charity that aims to bring boarding to Palestine’s youth.

Yesterday, 14:00

The left-back talked up the potential of Myles Judd, Dan Happe and Marvin Ekpiteta after Saturday’s win

Yesterday, 13:56

As students picked up A-level results at BSix College, one former pupil was on hand to inspire those that weren’t in a celebratory mood.

PROMOTED CONTENT

To celebrate LGBT history month, Hackney resident Amanda talks about her journey to becoming a foster carer, with the council’s support and training.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now


Newsletter Sign Up

Hackney Gazette twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read news

Show Job Lists