Search

Tube strike cancelled

PUBLISHED: 17:56 03 October 2017

Tube stations across London were due to close on Thursday. Picture: Anthony Devlin/PA

Tube stations across London were due to close on Thursday. Picture: Anthony Devlin/PA

PA Wire/PA Images

A planned strike by London Underground drivers which would have crippled Tube services on Thursday has been called off after progress was made during talks.

Members of Aslef were due to walk out for 24 hours in a dispute over working practices, causing disruption for millions of passengers.

The breakthrough came after a meeting between the union and LU under the chairmanship of the conciliation service Acas.

Finn Brennan, Aslef’s organiser on London Underground, said: “I am pleased to say that the our negotiating team believes they we have made sufficient progress in talks at Acas to recommend to the Aslef executive committee that the strike called for Thursday be suspended.

“We have always been prepared to keep talking to resolve this dispute but Aslef always has, and always will, insist that management stick to agreements they make with us.

“Our ballot remains live and we will not hesitate to call action in the future if needed to ensure all the commitments made are fully delivered.”

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “I’m pleased that this strike action has been suspended and that discussions can continue without disruption.

“By talking constructively to TfL staff and acting on their concerns we’ve managed to improve the atrocious industrial relations legacy left by the previous mayor.

“This has led to a nearly 60% reduction in the number of days lost to strikes on the Underground since I became mayor, which means less disruption and frustration for commuters in London.”

Nigel Holness, director of network operations for London Underground, said: “I welcome Aslef’s decision to suspend its unnecessary strike action and I am pleased that customers will not have their journeys disrupted. Since we agreed the pay deal last year we’ve delivered on all our commitments to provide the best possible work-life balance for our staff.

“We have completed a trial of a compressed four-day working week on the Jubilee line and drivers are working fewer weekend shifts.

“We have agreed to continue working with the trade unions to explore options that will further improve work-life balance for our staff.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hackney Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hackney Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hackney Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Hackney Stories

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger hailed Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil for the quality of their performances during his side’s 5-2 thrashing of Everton at Goodison Park on Sunday lunchtime.

Arsenal beat Everton 5-2 in Sunday’s lunchtime kick-off at Goodison Park after falling behind to a superlative goal from Wayne Rooney.

National League: Leyton Orient Macclesfield Town X1

Yesterday, 14:30

Spurs still have injury problems ahead of Liverpool match with Victor Wanyama and Mousa Dembele still on the sidelines

Yesterday, 10:30

The O’s head coach has a nice selection headache ahead of hosting the National League leaders

Yesterday, 10:09

Alexander’s eyes darted around as he spoke. He was young but had experienced a lot in his three decades.

“I was born in Belgrade”, he said. “I have never moved from my homeland. But I have lived in four countries in my life.”

Yugoslavia, Serbia and Montenegro as the Former Republic of Yugoslaiva, then Serbia and Montenegro, before simply Serbia.

Yesterday, 09:00

A City of London running event is breaking new ground with the launch of a crowdfunding campaign to help cover its costs.

Yesterday, 08:30

I am 33-year-old man with learning disabilities, writes Joseph Greene, volunteer, Rio Cinema.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists