Search

Stoke Newington’s Lawrence Okolie added to Joshua v Kiltschko bill

PUBLISHED: 15:40 10 April 2017 | UPDATED: 15:40 10 April 2017

Lawrence Okolie celebrates victory over Geoffrey Cave during the Cruiserweight bout at Manchester Arena. Picture: PETER BYRNE/PA WIRE

Lawrence Okolie celebrates victory over Geoffrey Cave during the Cruiserweight bout at Manchester Arena. Picture: PETER BYRNE/PA WIRE

PA Wire/PA Images

Stoke Newington’s Olympian boxer Lawrence Okolie is gearing up for his second professional fight – and has also been added to the undercard at the Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko blockbuster.

The heavyweight-turned-cruiserweight will join team mates at Rio, Joe Cordina and Josh Kelly, at the huge Wembley Stadium clash on April 29.

And one of them will open the show as Joshua himself did at the same venue before Froch Groves II in 2014.

Promoter Eddie Hearn revealed that the trio will draw lots ahead of the event to decide that honour.

He said: “In terms of platform and experience, there is no better stage for their career. It was nearly three years ago that Anthony Joshua kicked the night off at Wembley Stadium for Froch vs. Groves II and I believe all three of these fighters have the ability to headline there in years to come.

“We will draw numbers on fight week with the number one spot kicking off the night and the other two sitting tight for the knock on the changing room door as the huge 90,000 crowd begins to build.”

Before that however the Hackney fighter will head to Scotland on Saturday where he will face an as-yet-unnamed opponent at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow.

The 25-year-old, who began his career at Lion ABC in Hoxton before moving to Repton BC, demolished Geoffrey Cave inside 30 seconds in his pro debut in Manchester last month.

Lion ABC’s Ram Singh proved too talented for March BC rival Acer Smith in the Cambridgeshire club’s own show.

It was a rematch from a Lion show a few weeks ago which Singh won unanimously although he needed a split decision this time around.

Pedro ABC light-middleweight Celal Ozturk has been given a walkover into the national senior quarter-finals of the Amateur Boxing Alliance.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hackney Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hackney Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hackney Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Hackney Stories

15:00

Clapton assistant manager Wayne Seal is looking forward to facing his former club Ilford this weekend.

It is a huge relief that the seven-year-old boy hit by a car outside St John the Baptist Primary School wasn’t more badly hurt.

Hackney Council has unveiled what are thought to be the UK’s first public speed monitors for cyclists in an attempt to slow them down in London Fields.

18:07

A rapist who preyed on two lone women making their way home after a night out in Leicester Square has today been locked up for 10 years.

The fate of Haggerston Baths will be decided on Monday after a consultation found most people would rather see it turned into shops than a hotel.

14:26

A documentary maker and design apprentice at the town hall says he wants to be a role model for young black men in Hackney.

The 36-year-old is hoping the team can build on their last two results, but knows Macauley Bonne will be a big miss at Plainmoor

08:52

England’s women saw their Hockey World League Final gold-medal hopes shattered by a late New Zealand winner in their semi-final on Friday.



Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read sport

Show Job Lists