Search

Confirmation Leyton Orient president Francesco Becchetti will not be extradited to Albania

PUBLISHED: 15:30 20 July 2016

Leyton Orient president Francesco Becchetti (centre) at Oxford United last season. Pic: SIMON O'CONNOR

Leyton Orient president Francesco Becchetti (centre) at Oxford United last season. Pic: SIMON O'CONNOR

07958 573219 simon.oconnor@virgin.net

Italian pleased battle that lasted over a year has finally come to a positive conclusion for the Orient president

The Government of Albania has abandoned its efforts to have Leyton Orient president Francesco Becchetti extradited it was revealed this afternoon.

The decision announced at Westminster Magistrates Court today (Wednesday) formally ends more than a year of strong pressure for Mr Becchetti.

Earlier this month a hearing in Westminster Magistrates Court found that document submitted by the Albanian Government in support of its extradition case was “totally misleading.”

The document made a number of false statements about Albanian law, including that the extradition request could not be withdrawn, and even that the Minister would face “sanctions” in Albania if he withdrew the request.

The judge, District Judge Nina Tempia, found these claims to be untrue. She found that there had been an attempted “manipulation and usurpation” of the court’s process by the Albanian Government and ruled that the proceedings against Mr Becchetti be stayed.

The Albanian Government initially stated it would appeal the decision to stay proceedings. However, it announced today no appeal would be lodged.

Speaking after the Albanian Government’s decision was announced in court, Mr Becchetti said: “Finally after more than a year, and after a lengthy legal fight against the unwarranted persecution of me and my employees, we have the first just decision made by the Albanian Government.

“Not to appeal the court’s decision and to end this politically motivated action, was the minimum we expected. There should now be immediate end to all other proceedings against me in Albania that remain unresolved.”

Julian Knowles QC, who represented Mr Becchetti, said the document’s contents meant that “Albania had sought to lie to this court.”

Related articles

Latest Hackney Stories

47 minutes ago

Harry Kane, Eric Dier, Harry Winks and Kieran Trippier all featured for the Three Lions in their 3-2 victory away to Spain

09:05

The National Basketball Association (NBA) and Sky Sports today announced a new four-year broadcast and multiplatform partnership that will see Sky Sports become the NBA’s exclusive broadcast partner and official website operator in the UK and Ireland.

Yesterday, 18:37

Five teenagers who killed father-of-three Daniel Frederick yards from his home in Stoke Newington have today been jailed for 64 years.

Yesterday, 18:00

The National Basketball Association (NBA) and Norwegian announced today a partnership that sees the award-winning airline named presenting partner of the NBA London Game 2019.

Yesterday, 16:30

Ridley Road Shopping Village is being closed down by police over drug dealing and anti-social behaviour – kicking out long-standing traders with just two weeks’ notice.

Two men have conquered their fear of swimming to take the plunge and raise £42,000 for their friend who was paralysed on holiday this summer.

Yesterday, 15:00

The experienced midfielder wasn’t part of the matchday squad on Saturday and boss Justin Edinburgh explained why post-match

Yesterday, 12:30

A look at how some of Tottenham Hotspur’s players fared while on international duty over the weekend



Newsletter Sign Up

Hackney Gazette twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read sport

Show Job Lists