Search

Cuthbert calls on Orient fans

PUBLISHED: 10:30 28 March 2015

O's Scott Cuthbert challenges Mathias Pogba of 
Crawley Town (pic: Simon O'Connor)

O's Scott Cuthbert challenges Mathias Pogba of Crawley Town (pic: Simon O'Connor)

Simon O"Connor/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way Braintree Essex

Defender focused on Port Vale test

Leyton Orient defender Scott Cuthbert has called on the Brisbane Road crowd to give them the backing to help secure victory over Port Vale.

Defeat at Crawley left O’s three points adrift of safety in League One, but Cuthbert says the squad have to find a response.

And he is hoping the supporters can play their part, after encouraging home performances against Yeovil and Barnsley recently.

He said: “We’ve got nine games to go and we’ve got to stay focused. We’ve got to take the next game as it comes against Port Vale at home. It’s another massive game and hopefully we can get three points.

“We’ve just got to work hard, like we have been all year. It’s been a frustrating season so far, but we go again Saturday and try and get the three points.

“It won’t affect our belief. We’re upset and we’re low just now which is natural after such a big game, but we’ll dust ourselves down.

“At the end of the day we’ve got 27 points to play for, so there’s a lot of points and if we can get a little run going then we can get out of trouble, we’re only three points off it. It’s still not a big ask.

“Hopefully the crowd get behind us. I understand they’re frustrated, but believe me, we’re just as frustrated and upset as they are.

“We need their support, and they have given us it, and we need their backing come Saturday as well.”

Orient had chances to get their noses in front at Crawley, but Chris Dagnall, Darius Henderson and Dean Cox were all denied by fine saves from Lewis Price.

Izale McLeod netted from the spot on 33 minutes after being fouled by Luke O’Neill and Cuthbert added: “We gave away a sloppy penalty and they went 1-0 up and had something to hold on to and the game is a lot easier when you’ve got something to hold on to.

“It would be easy for a defender to sit here and blame the strikers, but there’s been plenty of times this season when we’ve conceded sloppy goals and the strikers have got us out of trouble.

“We’ve all got our work to do, as an 11 and a team. There’s no point singling out individuals or different positions. At the end of the day, we’re all in this together and we’ve got to all pull together and get ourselves out of this.”

Cuthbert admitted the contrast in the club’s fortunes over the past 12 months had been a big shock, having been so close to a place in the Championship to now fighting to avoid the drop into League Two.

But the Scot feels there is enough about Fabio Liverani’s current squad to ensure their survival, adding: “It’s devastating. To go from last season, challenging for an automatic position, to go to this season, it’s gutting to be honest, but we’ve got to stick together.

“We’ve got enough quality in this squad to get through it. We’ve got so much talent that’s played at a higher level and so much experience so we’ve got to stay positive and we’ll remain positive right until the end and we’ll keep fighting.

“There’s a massive onus on us to get out of this position and to stay in the league and maintain our League One status.

“We’ve got so much quality. You never know what will happen next year, but we’ve got to focus now and get ourselves out of this.”

Latest Hackney Stories

Behind closed doors pre-season friendly: Tottenham Hotspur 2 Brentford 1

The 48-year-old highlighted the performances of Marvin Ekpiteta and Dan Happe after Saturday’s win at Concord Rangers

13 minutes ago

A young mum whose privately rented Homerton flat has flooded four times in a year says her nine-year-old son could have been crushed when the ceiling collapsed.

A 20-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a 27-year-old was shot in Dalston.

00:01

Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has accused the German football federation of racism, prompting the 29-year-old to retire from international football.

Yesterday, 20:04

Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has announced he is to quit playing for the German national side, slamming individuals at the country’s football federation, accusing them of revealing their ‘previously hidden racist tendencies’.

Yesterday, 19:16

Fourteen wickets fell with nearly 400 runs scored on day one of the Division Two County Championship match at Lord’s between Middlesex and Warwickshire on Sunday.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

A late strike from Lily Owsley saw England come from behind to grab a point in their Vitality Hockey Women’s World Cup opener with India.

PROMOTED CONTENT

To celebrate LGBT history month, Hackney resident Amanda talks about her journey to becoming a foster carer, with the council’s support and training.



Newsletter Sign Up

Hackney Gazette twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read sport

Show Job Lists