Search

Leyton Orient boss Edinburgh pleased to hand Marvin Ekpitera his debut

PUBLISHED: 17:00 05 March 2018 | UPDATED: 17:00 05 March 2018

Marvin Ekpiteta (centre, purple kit) in action for East Thurrock United at St Albans City (pic: Leigh Page).

Marvin Ekpiteta (centre, purple kit) in action for East Thurrock United at St Albans City (pic: Leigh Page).

Archant

Leyton Orient handed a debut to young defender Marvin Ekpitera as he came off the bench in the 78th minute in their 1-0 defeat to Dover Athletic on Saturday, writes Jacob Ranson..

The 22-year-old was named on the bench after being recalled from his loan at East Thurrock United ahead of the clash.

The former Concord Rangers centre-back signed for Orient on January 31, but returned to his old club on loan until the end of the term.

With Jamie Sendles-White departing O’s by mutual consent this week and George Elokobi still struggling with a hamstring injury – he was recalled and given a chance.

Manager Justin Edinburgh was pleased with the youngster and believes he has a big future at the club.

“I thought he done well, I thought he did what he had to do very well,” the 48-year-old boss said.

“We’re pleased to give him his debut and I think he’ll have a future to play here.”

The club revealed Sendles-White left the club by mutual consent on Thursday afternoon.

The 23-year-old signed a one-year deal with the O’s in August after going through a long trial period in pre-season.

But he was never able to establish himself as a regular and struggled for form when given a chance after both George Elokobi and Josh Coulson suffered long-term injuries in September.

Sendles-White was also involved in a heated exchange with Orient supporters after the O’s lost 2-1 at Ebbsfleet United on November 11.

As a result, he was handed a written warning by the club and instructed to represent the Brisbane Road outfit at the following four community events.

He made 15 appearances for Orient, receiving one red card in a 2-2 draw with Chester and Edinburgh admits he was not part of his plans.

“I think you have to be honest and I think what you want to try do as a manager is be honest and try to give the players an opportunity to get themselves fixed up as soon as possible,” he said.

“I didn’t see him in the plans going forward so we come to an agreement and hopefully he can get himself fixed up.”

Latest Hackney Stories

37 minutes ago

London-based coach Born Barikor is leading the way in keeping Londoners active, with his Our Parks initiative happening across the capital.

Macauley Bonne’s hat-trick helped Orient earn a 5-1 win at Braintree Town to make it 13 games without defeat this season

07:50

Middlesex batsman Stevie Eskinazi admits their County Championship Division Two clash with Durham has been ‘really interesting’.

10:59

Overground ticket offices in Hackney are set to be decimated as a consultation has revealed plans to close 12 of them.

The Gazette pre-warned readers about an upcoming emergency planning exercise, in which a plane “will be imagined to have crashed” on the Stonebridge Estate in Clarissa Street, Haggerston.

The watchdog for local government finance launched an investigation into why a council worker had been paid £56,000 to do absolutely nothing for four whole years

National League: Braintree Town 1 Leyton Orient 5

Yesterday, 19:24

Middlesex have threatened to spoil Paul Collingwood’s swansong at the Emirates Riverside with a spirited fightback on day two of their Specsavers County Championship Division Two clash against Durham.



Newsletter Sign Up

Hackney Gazette twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read sport

Show Job Lists