Search

Leyton Orient staff call for more communication from chairman Francesco Becchetti

PUBLISHED: 17:39 19 April 2017 | UPDATED: 17:42 19 April 2017

Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road (pic: Play With A Legend).

Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road (pic: Play With A Legend).

Mathew Parri Thomas 2016

The O’s staff were due to be paid on March 31, but have yet to receive their wages and haven’t been told when to expect them

A statement on behalf of all of the staff at Leyton Orient has been released this evening calling on chairman Francesco Becchetti to communicate over their growing concerns.

“As staff of Leyton Orient Football Club we have become hugely concerned by the lack of communication issued by owner Francesco Becchetti and its directors,” a statement read.

“Having not received our wages for the month of March 2017, staff were told to expect payment on April 6 due to an issue regarding the club’s bank account.

“However, on the eve of the date promised, staff were informed that they would have to wait a ‘few days more’ for their wages.

“Following this a formal grievance was raised by club staff in line with the club’s policies and procedures, though to this date it remains unacknowledged with no indication as to when, or if, we are to be paid.

“Despite their concern club staff have continued in their respective roles, rallying behind the team in their bid to preserve Leyton Orient’s proud English Football League association.

“At the time of this statement we are now in the 19th day of April, and with our next payment of wages due in nine days time, we appeal to the club’s directors to communicate the current situation and provide us with an update regarding our pay.

“As reported last week, the playing staff were supported by the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) who kindly loaned a percentage of each individual’s monthly salary to help them through this difficult time.

“This has been greatly appreciated however the players now have a debt hanging over their heads of which they remain unsure as to when, or even if, they can repay the amount given to them.

“The winding up order issued at the start of March saw the club taken to the High Court, and on March 20 it was claimed that the amount of £1 million is to be put into the club to ensure all debts that have been generated over recent months would be paid in full by June 12 when the club are next due to appear in court.

“With debts continuing to mount and us as staff not being paid our contractual wage, it raises questions as to whether the directors are on course to meet this arrangement.

“Staff look forward to some welcome communication from the club’s directors which we hope can answer our growing concerns.

“There will be no further comment from ANY member of staff regarding this statement.”

Related articles

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Hackney Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Hackney Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Hackney Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Hackney Stories

Yesterday, 17:00

Weekend clash with Premier League champions offers Spurs an opportunity to claim statement win they need under the arch

Yesterday, 16:00

Central defender confident O’s will improve under Steve Davis, but knows the squad needs time

Yesterday, 15:36

Is the British summer getting you down? Head east for some Mediterranean culinary relief.

Yesterday, 15:00

Middlesex go to Cardiff on Friday night knowing that victory over Glamorgan could see them qualify for the quarter-finals of this season’s NatWest T20 Blast.

Yesterday, 18:36

Stoke Newington School is set to more oversubscribed than ever thanks to another “brilliant” set of A-level results, according to headteacher Annie Gammon.

Yesterday, 17:04

Both students and subject teachers have struggled with the lack of materials provided by A-level exam boards for the new syllabus, according to teachers in Hackney.

Yesterday, 12:00

Full-back is feeling fit after missing the end of last season with a back problem

Yesterday, 15:50

A cyclist on trial for killing a mother in Old Street today denied he was a thrillseeker who didn’t use a front brake or helmet because it was “stylish” not to.



Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read sport

Show Job Lists