First meteor shower of 2022 to light up the night sky in early January
- Credit: PA Wire
The UK is set to be illuminated by the first meteor shower of 2022 in early January.
Active from December 12 to January 12, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to be at its most visible on January 3.
For the best view, stargazers are urged to look to the skies after dusk.
At its peak, the shower can produce a rate of 118 meteors per hour.
At non-peak times, there will be fewer meteors over the country, but the ones that do appear will be long-lived meteors which will travel across a wide area of sky.
A meteor shower occurs when the Earth passes through debris which has been left behind by comets and asteroids.
- 1 Girl reported missing from Hackney found
- 2 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 3 Woman, 31, cleared of murdering man in Hackney
- 4 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 5 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 6 Dumpling Shack announces plans for Hackney restaurant
- 7 Sentencing delayed for 'audacious' fraudster who conned Hackney hotel staff
- 8 Covid patient numbers remain steady at Homerton Hospital
- 9 Hackney woman fined £12,000 for hosting birthday bash a day after No 10 parties
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network