1,000 firms sign up to City Fringe Zero Emissions Network to tackle London’s filthy air
- Credit: Archant
A network of businesses working together to tackle toxic air around the edge of the City and Shoreditch has clocked up 1,000 members.
The City Fringe Zero Emissions Network (ZEN) was set up by Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets councils to offer advice and solutions for firms to reduce their impact on air quality.
As well as expert advice, ZEN helps businesses switch their petrol or diesel cars to electric cars, electric bicycles or cargo bikes. It also offers suggestions to encourage staff to walk or cycle to work, like installing shower and change facilities.
The idea is to help both start-ups and established workforces get ahead in preparation for more radical changes proposed by the Mayor of London like the Ultra Low Emissions Zone.
The council’s environmental chief Cllr Feryal Demirci said: “We want to transform the area into an example of everything that London should be striving for, with people-friendly streets, prioritising low emissions transport and most importantly, clean air.
You may also want to watch:
“We know it’s not enough, though.
“We would like to see a London-wide Ultra Low Emissions Zone and a clear commitment to progressively tightening the restrictions on emissions so we do more than simply meet the national air quality objectives.”
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 7 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 8 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
- 9 Hackney CEO to retire after 40 years in local government
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
Lettings transaction platform Goodlord was ZEN’s thousandth member.