13-year old becomes youngest girl ever to kayak English Channel
- Credit: Archant
A 13-year old became the youngest girl to ever kayak across the English Channel today.
Maia Wallace-Loizou and 15-year old Dylan Barber-May from Stamford Hill paddled 20 miles in 4 hours 15 minutes to raise money to buy sports equipment for Leaside, a charity they both attend in Spring Lane, Lower Clapton
Leaside organises outdoor activities for young people, including kayaking, canoeing, mountain biking and orienteering, and also takes inner-city children on adventure trips all over the UK.
The pair have been waking up at 6am to paddle in the cold and returning after school to make sure they could complete the arduous challenge. After coming ashore in France Dylan said: “I’m feeling good, fine. It was challenging but more mentally than physically but I enjoyed it and we did it. “It’s worth it because this is for Leaside,” said Dylan.
“It’s a great charity helping young, sometimes deprived, people to get out of the house, off the streets and do something fun which they can get good at.”
You may also want to watch:
Maia added: “It was alright up until near the end but we kept going and luckily the sea was nice and still today.”
So far the pair have raised nearly £4,000 in sponsorship.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
To donate online go to www.justgiving.com/channelcrossing13