£20,000 reward offered five years after DJ’s murder
- Credit: Archant
Five years after father-of-five DJ Connoisseur was gunned down, detectives are offering a £20,000 reward for information leading to the identification, arrest and prosecution of those responsible for his murder.
Wayne Powell was 39 when he was shot dead in Chingford on Monday July 5 2010, and the motive still remains unclear.
His partner Anne Boriel was five months pregnant with his son at the time, and the now four-year old named Wayne in honour of his father was never able to meet him.
Det Insp Tim Cuthbert, of the Met’s homicide and major crime command, said: “We believe that five years is a long time and many allegiances and loyalties will have changed since this incident took place.
“Five years on and Wayne’s family and friends still have no closure. Wayne was due to be a father at the time of his murder and both he and his son were denied the opportunity to even meet one another.
“We are hoping that anyone with information, who felt they couldn’t come forward and assist in 2010, may feel able to finally help us and the family now.”
Wayne, who was also a keen bodybuilder and worked as a customer assistant for the London Underground at Seven Sisters, was sat in his car close to the gym he used in Higham Station Avenue, Chingford, when a lone gunman approached the vehicle just after 11pm.
- 1 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 2 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals
- 3 Cardboard boxes causing delays in and around Hackney Wick
- 4 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 5 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 6 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 7 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 9 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 10 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
Mr Powell, who grew up in Kyverdale Road, Stamford Hill, got out of the black BMW to talk to him, and the suspect shot him four times before calmly making off along a footpath towards Coningsby Gardens.
Wayne was pronounced dead at the Royal London Hospital.
Mr Powell spent all of his life in Hackney until moving to Seven Sisters with Ms Boriel in 2004, attending Southwold Primary School in Detmold Road and Hackney Downs School.
He was a radio DJ, a fitness fanatic and spent much of his time at a barber shop in Upper Clapton.
The gunman is described as possibly black, about 5ft 10ins and wearing a tracksuit. The weapon used is believed to be a handgun.
One witness believed the gunman was wearing a grey tracksuit with zip up in front with his hood up, and another thought they saw the gunman wearing a brown hooded top with the hood up and dark-coloured jogging bottoms
Anyone with information should call the incident room on 0208 345 3715 or email SCD1Mailbox-.MIT23MIR@met.police.uk.