A fault in a kitchen extractor hood sparked a blaze in a tower block.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to the second-floor flat in a 13-storey building in Hackney on Tuesday, April 19 at 5.24pm.

Around 20 people had evacuated the building in Poole Street before firefighters arrived.

The blaze was under control at 6.10pm.

The cause is believed to have been a fault in a kitchen extractor hood.

A small part of a three-room second floor flat was damaged.

There were no injuries reported.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "We'd like to remind homeowners to ensure they don't have dirty ducting. If you don't clean the ducting in your extraction system regularly, you're at a greater risk of a fire.

"You should also make sure you keep the hob, cooker hood and extractor fan clean too – built up fat and grease can ignite and cause a fire."


Fire crews from Shoreditch, Islington, Whitechapel, and Stoke Newington fire stations attended the scene.