A woman who was tied to a chair and sexually assaulted at knifepoint says she now feels “hopeless”.

Karan Pullock, 37, of Hackney lived in the same block of flats as the victim he sexually assaulted and attempted to rape on June 30, 2022.

While they did not know each other, Pullock entered the victim’s home through and adjoining attic.

Once the victim returned home later that day, she noticed the blinds had been drawn and her dog was unusually quiet.

Pullock emerged from a dark room with a knife and grabbed the victim as she tried to fight him off.

During the struggle he overpowered her and held a knife to her throat, threatening to kill her if she continued to scream.

The victim was forced into her bedroom and tied to a chair where Pullock demanded money.

He began to cut her clothes off and sexually assaulted her before attempting to rape her.

Shortly after, Pullock called police to confess his crimes and he was immediately arrested.

Metropolitan Police says a search in his home uncovered Pullock attached a phone to the peephole of his door so that he could monitor the victim’s movements.

Following the incident, the victim released a statement saying: “There are days where I struggle to get out of bed. Not recognising the person I once was.

“I wonder what the point is, where I no longer have the confidence to live like I used to. To live in a city like London, and constantly be in fear feels hopeless.

“I’m a grown woman, who is now scared of the dark. I feel embarrassed trying to make plans to see friends, or client meetings and having to work around this. In the winter months it makes this basically impossible."

Hackney Gazette: Police promptly reacted after Pullock confessed his crimesPolice promptly reacted after Pullock confessed his crimes (Image: PA)

Pullock pleaded guilty to attempted robbery, attempted rape, sexual assault and threats to kill on January 18 this year.

Additional counts of attempted rape and false imprisonment were left on file.

He was sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court on Friday (May 19) and has been jailed for 12 years with an extended six-year licence period.

He will also be on the Sex Offenders Register for life.

Detective Sergeant Matthew Cooksey said: “Pullock is a truly dangerous individual who planned a terrifying attack on the victim for no reason other than his own gratification.

“I am glad that he pleaded guilty and spared the victim from having to relive the experience at court. He will now spend a significant period behind bars.

“We are working hard to prevent violence against women and girls and we will continue to remove these dangerous offenders from the streets of London.”