Flames spread to two floors of a block of flats after smoking materials were not disposed of safely.

Four fire engines and 25 firefighters were called to a flat fire in Stanway Street, Hackney, at 8pm yesterday evening (June 19). 

Firefighters tackled flames on the second and third floor of an 11-storey block of flats, London Fire Brigade said.

The blaze, which the brigade said was caused by the unsafe disposal of smoking materials, damaged part of a balcony on the second floor.

One man left the building the before crews arrived. 

The fire was under control by 8.48pm.

Fire crews from Shoreditch, Bethnal Green, Dowgate and Stoke Newington attended the scene.