A battery failure in a power tool is believed to have sparked a blaze that damaged half of a flat.

The London Fire Brigade was called to the fire in Stoke Newington yesterday (Sunday, June 25) at 8pm.

One adult and seven children from flats on the first and second floors of the property in Durley Road left before the brigade arrived and no injuries were reported.

READ MORE: Neighbour speaks on ‘massive crash’ as house collapses

READ MORE: Patient who took own life was mistakenly let out of hospital due to staff shortage

Half of a ground floor flat in a three-storey house converted into flats was destroyed by fire.

The incident was over by 9pm.

Fire investigators believe that the fire was caused by a lithium ion battery failure in a power tool.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Stoke Newington, Tottenham and Holloway stations attended the incident.