Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued a woman from a blaze in a block of flats.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to Crabtree Close in Hackney last night (Thursday) at 10.27pm.

One woman was rescued by crews wearing breathing apparatus via an internal staircase.

Around 20 residents had left the building before the brigade arrived.

A small part of a three-room flat on the first floor of the three-storey block was destroyed.

The incident was over by 11.26pm.

Investigators found the property did not have working smoke alarms and the fire was most likely caused by smoking materials not having been disposed of safely.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "This incident shows just how vital it is to have working smoke alarms fitted as the alarm failed to sound due to a defect.

"It's also a timely reminder for smokers to ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life."

Crews from Shoreditch, Islington, Stoke Newington and Homerton fire stations were in attendance.