Two men have been jailed after a father was stabbed to death outside a nightclub.

Trei Daley, 26, from Bromley, was fatally stabbed and a friend seriously injured in a fight outside The Colour Factory in Hackney Wick on February 11 last year.

Christopher Appiah-Blay, 35, of Wick Road, Hackney, had been convicted of manslaughter and Mawien Mawien, 39, of Portland Close, Chadwell Heath, of grievous bodily harm at the Old Bailey on January 26 for their roles in the incident.

Both were also found guilty of possession of a bladed article.

At the same court on Wednesday (January 31) Appiah-Blay was sentenced to 14 years in prison and Mawien to five years.

At the hearing, Judge Mark Dennis confirmed that the knives had been concealed in the defendants’ underwear.

The court had heard that Trei had been out celebrating a friend’s birthday when they became involved in a fight with the Mawien and Appiah-Blay, whom they had never met before, in a takeaway restaurant.

The jury was told Appiah-Blay got into an argument with a young woman and was being “rowdy”. She claimed that he called her “fat” and a “b**ch”.

Appiah-Blay was heard complaining that she had spat at him so he threw a drink at her, the jury were told.

Some of the drink fell on Trei and his friend, Malachi Robinson.

The woman said she continued to goad Appiah-Blay, who then threw a burger at her, leaving sauce in her hair.

The court heard that Trei then tried to calm Appiah-Blay down and that things did then calm down for around five minutes before Trei’s brother Rico got into an argument with Mawien.

Mawien allegedly told Rico: “These are my ends, I can get people here in seconds.”

As tensions rose, the first punch was thrown by Trei, beginning a fight that would have fatal consequences.

The fight involved Trei facing off against Appiah-Blay and Trei’s friend Sheldon Bastien facing off against Mawien, Prosecutor Mr Evans told the jury.

Appiah-Blay pulled a knife out just moments after Trei threw a punch, the jury was told.

During the fight Bastien was allegedly stabbed in the back by Mawien, but fortunately he only received minor injuries.

But Appiah-Blay stabbed Trei twice in the chest, with one 13.5cm deep wound penetrating his heart.

Trei was taken to hospital and pronounced dead within the hour.

Before sentencing the two defendants, Judge Dennis KC addressed them and said: “This was 45 seconds of violence fuelled by bravado and drink.

“You are both comparatively young men but well old enough to know how to handle such a situation and not to have resorted to such violence.

“This could have remained no more than a minor fist fight at worst but you transformed it into a lethal encounter by producing knives that you were carrying that night for no better reason other than if need to use them arose.”

After statements were read from Trei’s mother and partner, Judge Dennis KC said: “His death has had profound and irredeemable circumstances for those close to him.

“The family of the deceased should be commended for dignity and composure they have shown in the courtroom today and throughout the trial.”

Mawien was sentenced to 18 months' imprisonment to run concurrently for possession of a bladed article, and Appiah-Blay was given a 12-month concurrent sentence.

Both will serve two thirds of their sentences in custody and the remainder on licence.