Police say they are investigating whether a fire that destroyed a house and put four people in hospital was an antisemitic hate crime.

A man in his 60s was arrested after a blaze at a three-storey house in Newick Road, Clapton, yesterday (March 20).

The Metropolitan Police said it is currently believed the fire was started deliberately.

Hackney Gazette: Smoke coming from the house in Newick RoadSmoke coming from the house in Newick Road (Image: Andy Vella)

Emergency services flooded the road after receiving 31 calls at 12.42pm.

A man in his 60s was subsequently arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life, the Met said.

Police say they are investigating it as a potential antisemitic hate crime.

Hackney Gazette: Smoke filled the streetsSmoke filled the streets (Image: Andy Vella)

Four other people were also injured in the incident, but none are in a life-threatening condition.

London Fire Brigade said eight fire engines and around 60 firefighters tackled the blaze, which destroyed the ground and first floors of the three-storey house.

Met Detective Chief Superintendent James Conway said: “We take instances of antisemitism extremely seriously and for this reason we’re investigating the incident as a potential hate crime.

“Undoubtedly this will be extremely concerning news for our Jewish communities in Hackney and beyond, and I and my officers will be engaging with partners including the Community Safety Trust and the Shomrim to answer their questions and listen to their views.

“Whilst the investigation will continue to explore the motivation for this offence.

“We have no indication, at this very early stage, that the motivation was connected with any specific local or global events.”

Hackney Gazette: Police diverted traffic in the areaPolice diverted traffic in the area (Image: Andy Vella)

Mr Conway said the Met have a robust policing plan in place, including increased patrols and enhanced police visibility, as Jewish communities begin celebrations for the Purim holiday period.

A Community Security Trust spokesperson said: “This appears to be a very serious incident and we appreciate the police’s swift action.

“We have been in contact with police since yesterday and we will be working with them to provide reassurance to the local Jewish community over the coming days.”

Some reporting by PA.