Firefighters have warned about the dangers of incense sticks after a fire damaged a maisonette.

London Fire Brigade (LFB) was called to the blaze in Evering Road, Hackney, at around 1.45am on Saturday morning (April 6).

Around 25 firefighters and four fire engines from Stoke Newington and Homerton stations battled the fire for just over an hour.

It has since been determined that the blaze was accidental and caused by an incense stick.  

There were no reports of any injuries, but half of the first floor of the split-level maisonette was damaged by fire.

A LFB spokesperson has now warned about the dangers of leaving incense sticks, candles and oil burners unattended, describing them as “one of the most common causes of fire within homes”.

They added: "Make sure you place incense sticks in a suitable, fire-resistant holder and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.

“Remember to put them out entirely when you leave the room and especially before bed.”