£3.2m Springfield Park revamp could see greenhouses demolished – and car park built on
- Credit: Archant
Springfield Park’s greenhouse buildings could be demolished to make way for a profit-making community event space in a £3.2million revamp.
The plans – financed with Heritage Lottery Fund money – might also see the mid-19th century White Lodge buiilding in the park get a two-storey side extension, on what is currently a car park. Meanwhile the stables building could be turned into designer and maker workshops.
Hackney Council’s proposals were revealed at a special pre-planning meeting – a session where councillors on the planning committed can share their thoughts before a formal application is submitted.
Springfield Park is in a conservation area, and is classed as metropolitan open land, with the same status as green belt.
In a report, planning officers noted: “While the proposed community space is not directly intrinsic to the recreational function of the park, profits resulting in the use of the events space and stables workshops would be ringfenced to be reinvested into the upkeep and maintenance of the park, including the recruitment of a park manager.
You may also want to watch:
“The proposals seek to reinvigorate the park and restore the buildings. [The proposals] are largely supported, since the buildings are in poor condition, underused and on the Heritage at Risk register.
“Generally the proposals are felt to be heritage-led and sympathetic.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
A playground has been earmarked for the bowling green, near homes in Hawkwood Mount.