£3.2m Springfield Park revamp could see greenhouses demolished – and car park built on
- Credit: Archant
Springfield Park’s greenhouse buildings could be demolished to make way for a profit-making community event space in a £3.2million revamp.
The plans – financed with Heritage Lottery Fund money – might also see the mid-19th century White Lodge buiilding in the park get a two-storey side extension, on what is currently a car park. Meanwhile the stables building could be turned into designer and maker workshops.
Hackney Council’s proposals were revealed at a special pre-planning meeting – a session where councillors on the planning committed can share their thoughts before a formal application is submitted.
Springfield Park is in a conservation area, and is classed as metropolitan open land, with the same status as green belt.
In a report, planning officers noted: “While the proposed community space is not directly intrinsic to the recreational function of the park, profits resulting in the use of the events space and stables workshops would be ringfenced to be reinvested into the upkeep and maintenance of the park, including the recruitment of a park manager.
You may also want to watch:
“The proposals seek to reinvigorate the park and restore the buildings. [The proposals] are largely supported, since the buildings are in poor condition, underused and on the Heritage at Risk register.
“Generally the proposals are felt to be heritage-led and sympathetic.”
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
A playground has been earmarked for the bowling green, near homes in Hawkwood Mount.