51 Faces of Hackney depicts the eccentric, infuriating and bonkers side of the borough
- Credit: Archant
An art and photography exhibition encapsulating the life and culture of Hackney launches tonight at the Proud Archivist.
Called 51 Faces of Hackney, it is a merger between Adam Dant’s humorous illustrations, 50 People of East London, along with Martin Usborne’s photographs of Joseph Markovitch, who lived in East London for 86½ years.
Shoreditch resident Dant, who won the Jerwood Drawing Prize in 2002 has created a witty guide to the characters you might find in Hackney, which is inspired by the Cries of London, a series of 18th century oil paintings of street sellers depicting people like the knife grinder, broom vendor and chair mender.
Pulling the concept into the 21st century, he has depicted people like the flat white bore, the barge dwelling fantasist and the creative “digital thought leader” who is “so far ahead of the curve he has gone round the bend”.
Meanwhile Usborne’s series of portraits depict the eccentric character of Joseph Markovitch, who left London only once in his life to go to the seaside with his mother.
You may also want to watch:
Me Markovitch, who passed away recently, loved Nicolas Cage, had five sugars in his tea, and would have married a six foot two Hispanic woman had it not been for the fact he bad chest catarrh and never had a girlfriend.
The show at The Proud Archivist in Hertford Road, De Beauvoir will be open seven days a week from 8am to 10.30pm until Sunday March 30.
- 1 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney