A-level results 2017: Hackney Community College pair set to study English literature at Cambridge University
- Credit: Archant
A pair of Hackney Community College students are set to continue their studies together after they both secured a place at Cambridge University to read English literature.
Mariambibi Haji and Marianne Johnson have followed a similar path at the Falkirk Street college, with both gaining grades of A*, A* and A in classical civilisation, English literature and religious studies respectively.
High achievers also included Syeda Kaynath, who bagged two As in law and religious studies and a B in sociology and is progressing to SOAS University of London to study law, along with classmate Fateha Rahman who achieved two As in law and religious studies and a C in English literature.
Monira Begum is bound for Queen Mary’s University to study politics and international relations with her two Bs in religious studies and English and a C in classical civilisation.
Borough principal Lois Fowler said: “Well done to all our students who have worked hard to achieve these fantastic results. In a year when many A-level subjects changed, our students have been well supported and proved that they continue to do very well and achieve high grades.
You may also want to watch:
“It demonstrates the hard work and dedication of our students towards their studies and our teachers in helping them achieve the high grades they need to secure good university places.”
The school also said it was pleased with the students’ achievements in law, with 80per cent of sixth formers gaining A*, A or B grades.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 5 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home