A-level results: BSix College sends students to Oxford and beyond
- Credit: Archant
There was palpable excitement at BSix College in Clapton as hundreds of students came in to get their A-level results.
Despite being kicked out of two colleges in his first year of studies, BSix College student Mahmoud Ally managed to get a stunning set of results which have secured him a place at Oxford University.
The 20-year-old student at the Clapton college achieved three As in philosophy, English literature and history A-levels and will now go on to read history at the prestigious institution.
Speaking at the college in Kenninghall Road, he said: “I feel very very privileged. I’m just relieved. I was expecting three As and would have been disappointed with myself if I didn’t get that.
“I got kicked out of two colleges for behavioural problems as I did not settle in after leaving school. It took me a while to settle down.
You may also want to watch:
“The best thing about BSix is the support they have given to students. They have given us so much.”
Mahmoud was part of an outreach programme run jointly by BSix College and Pembroke College, Oxford which has tried to increase the intake of pupils from Hackney.
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 3 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 4 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 5 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 6 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 9 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 10 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
Asta Diabate, 18, also took part in the programme and obtained A*s in Italian and Government and Politics and As in French, History and Philosophy. She will starting at Oxford in October to study ancient and modern History.
The colleg has maintained it’s 94 pass rate in A-levels.
Luke Pearce, 18, of Gliddon Road, Clapton got three Bs in philosophy, English and Sociology. He was disappointed with himself as he was expecting an A in philosophy.
“I’m quite disappointed by my results because I was expecting an A”, he said. “I felt I did really well in the exam. It’s a matter of personal standards.” He obtained a place at Essex University to study but now plans to go through clearing as he wants to study in London.
BSix principal Ken Warman said: “We are so proud of all the achievement of our staff and students. Most of all, we are thrilled that our students have opened up huge opportunities for themselves and have set a shining example to other aspiring young people.”