Nature’s healing balm is welcoming us again
Alice Bonifacio, nature writer
- Credit: Archant
“The trees are coming into leaf”, wrote Philip Larkin.
More clues are granted at this time of year as to which tree variety stands before you: ash, elm or beech? As different fruits and leaves start to appear, the trees become less homogenous.
Clissold Park has long been a showground for different varieties of trees, providing leafy shade in the summer months when picnics begin to take place underneath their forgiving boughs. I’ve come here on a blustery March day, where the wind seems to whip right through layers of winter garments. In the Romani calendar, March is known as "month of the winds" or Bavalyakero. The music of the trees is changing from less of a creak to more of a rustle or a whisper.
Meeting a friend for coffee, we sit on a picnic table underneath the budding branches of an ash, which according to my Woodland Trust app can be identified by clusters of flowers emerging from the tips of once stark twigs.
An impressive English elm stands in full glory close to one of the footpaths, boasting bright green leaves. Other trees follow suit. At this time of year, it is hard to ignore what came before. Last year, the arrival of spring brought a measure of relief during the first lockdown. Now nature’s healing balm is welcoming us again as we spend more time outdoors:
You may also want to watch:
“Last year is dead, they seem to say, Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.” From The Trees, by Philip Larkin.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 9 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta