All Points East: Nick Cave, Patti Smith and St Vincent to play new Victoria Park festival on June 3
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds will top the bill on the final day of All Points East in Victoria Park, it can be revealed.
The Australian indie veterans, whose sinister wit has been darkening record collections for three decades, are joined on the line-up by trailblazing punk legend Patti Smith.
Support comes from US singer-songwriter St Vincent, who is currently touring her acclaimed new LP Masseduction, and Aussie Courtney Barnett.
Today’s announcement means all but one of the six headline acts for All Points East have been unveiled. LCD Soundsystem, Bjork, The xx and The National will head up a star-studded bill for the new festival, which spans a week and a half from the end of May.
All Points East replaces Field Day and Lovebox from 2018. Tower Hamlets Council gave promoter Goldenvoice the run of the park after being impressed by their pitch for a free community festival bookended by six days of live music from both UK and international stars.
You may also want to watch:
It means Goldenvoice has the exclusive right to stage big festivals there for the next five years.
A spokesman described Nick Cave and his band as “one of the most intense and exciting live acts on the planet”.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 4 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 5 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 6 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 7 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 8 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
“Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds’ recent sold-out run of headline shows saw them step up another gear to become bona fide arena headliners, garnering some of the best reviews of their decorated career in the process,” he said.
The Seeds are promoting their 2016 album Skeleton Tree and 2017 hits collection Lovely Creatures. They will play on June 3 – the last of three standalone shows that close All Points East under the banner APE Presents.
Four days’ free entertainment running from May 28 will see the park host kids’ activities, film screenings, comedy and even more music, with locally sourced food and drink on the menu.
More acts are still to be announced.
Tickets go on sale on Friday, but Gazette readers who live in Hackney or Tower Hamlets can pick up Thursday’s paper for an exclusive pre-sale code that gives them 24 hours to beat the (virtual) queue.