All Points East: Nick Cave, Patti Smith and St Vincent to play new Victoria Park festival on June 3
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds will top the bill on the final day of All Points East in Victoria Park, it can be revealed.
The Australian indie veterans, whose sinister wit has been darkening record collections for three decades, are joined on the line-up by trailblazing punk legend Patti Smith.
Support comes from US singer-songwriter St Vincent, who is currently touring her acclaimed new LP Masseduction, and Aussie Courtney Barnett.
Today’s announcement means all but one of the six headline acts for All Points East have been unveiled. LCD Soundsystem, Bjork, The xx and The National will head up a star-studded bill for the new festival, which spans a week and a half from the end of May.
All Points East replaces Field Day and Lovebox from 2018. Tower Hamlets Council gave promoter Goldenvoice the run of the park after being impressed by their pitch for a free community festival bookended by six days of live music from both UK and international stars.
You may also want to watch:
It means Goldenvoice has the exclusive right to stage big festivals there for the next five years.
A spokesman described Nick Cave and his band as “one of the most intense and exciting live acts on the planet”.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 8 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
“Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds’ recent sold-out run of headline shows saw them step up another gear to become bona fide arena headliners, garnering some of the best reviews of their decorated career in the process,” he said.
The Seeds are promoting their 2016 album Skeleton Tree and 2017 hits collection Lovely Creatures. They will play on June 3 – the last of three standalone shows that close All Points East under the banner APE Presents.
Four days’ free entertainment running from May 28 will see the park host kids’ activities, film screenings, comedy and even more music, with locally sourced food and drink on the menu.
More acts are still to be announced.
Tickets go on sale on Friday, but Gazette readers who live in Hackney or Tower Hamlets can pick up Thursday’s paper for an exclusive pre-sale code that gives them 24 hours to beat the (virtual) queue.