Hackney and Haringey charity receives £1,000
- Credit: Literacy Pirates
A Hackney and Haringey-based children’s charity has been given £1,000 by tech giant Amazon.
Founded in 2010, the Literacy Pirates works with children to improve their literacy skills.
It’s after school programme sees trained volunteers and teachers working one on one with children and each term they publish books, films and podcasts created at the charity’s learning centres in Dalston and Tottenham.
Chief Executive and Captain, Jude Williams, from Literacy Pirates added: “We’re very grateful for this support from Amazon. We work hard to make a positive impact on children’s reading and writing so they can succeed inside and outside school. Donations like this help us to continue to improve the skills and confidence of our young pirates.”
The Amazon team has been supporting the charity since 2018 and its donation will go towards running the Literacy Pirates’ learning programme.
You may also want to watch:
Beth Knight, Amazon in the Community UK lead, said: “I think the work that Literacy Pirates is doing in east and north London is so important to engage children in education and make their learning experience fun.”
Literacy Pirates received the donation as part of the “Amazon in the Community” programme, whereby the company supports the communities around its operating locations across the UK.
To learn more about the Literacy Pirates click here
- 1 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 2 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 3 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 6 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 7 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 8 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 9 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 10 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more