Apple iSore is “ruining Shoreditch”
- Credit: Archant
Tech giant Apple has been accused of “ruining Shoreditch” with a massive advert which a planning chief has claimed is unauthorised.
Cllr Vincent Stops, the chairman of Hackney Council’s planning committee, challenged Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, on a social networking site over the advert which covers the top floor of a Georgian house in Shoreditch High Street, at the corner of Commercial Street.
Cllr Stops alleged on Twitter: “Your illegal mega ad is ruining Shoreditch.”
Matt Johnson, the lead singer of the band, The The, joined the exchange, saying he had been complaining to the council about the advert for two years, “yet for some reason up it stays”.
Mr Johnson told the Gazette: “Almost everyone in Shoreditch is aware that Apple are flaunting planning laws but I was surprised to see Vincent Stops’s Twitter feed about it.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Apple claimed the advert was legitimate in the form of “deemed consent” – meaning it does not need planning permission – and that advertising space had been used by them for a decade.
However, on April 28 an application was submitted to the council for retrospective planning consent at the site by media company Blow Up.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 5 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 8 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 9 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
- 10 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
A council spokesman said the planning department had investigated the site in February 2012 regarding the unauthorised display of an advert which was subsequently removed, leading to the closure of the case in June 2012. However, a further case was opened last December.
He said: “Investigations by the planning service have led to the recent submission of a retrospective application seeking consent for the display of an advert.”
Cllr Stops declined to comment because of the live planning application.
The Gazette contacted Blow Up Media but did not get a response.