Arrests made over murder of Joseph Burke-Monerville
- Credit: Archant
Police have arrested three men in connection with the murder of Nigerian prince Joseph Burke-Monerville, who was shot in the head nearly two years ago as he sat in a car in Lower Clapton.
The arrests this morning come after CCTV footage showing the moments before and after the teenager from Islington was shot dead in a mistaken identity killing on February 16 2013, was released in February this year.
Mr Burke-Monerville had just left the gym at Hackney Baths with his twin Jonathan, and his older brother David, 24, when they stopped outside a newsagent in Hindrey Road.
Two masked men came up to the car and asked them if they were from the Pembury Estate, Pembury Road.
When the brothers said no, the gunman’s accomplice is alleged to have said “waste them anyway”, before the killer opened fire, hitting Joseph in the head and shattering David’s arm – narrowly missing his heart.
Officers from the Homicide and Major Incident Command arrested a 19 year old man, a 20-year-old man and a 28-year-old man - all from Hackney - in the early hours of this morning.
They are all now in custody at an east London police station.
- 1 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 2 London among areas where drought is declared
- 3 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 4 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 5 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 6 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 7 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 8 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 9 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 10 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
Despite arrests being made previously, police have yet to charge anyone over the killing, the second bereavement the family has suffered due to street violence.
In 1994, the twins’ elder brother Trevor was stabbed 13 times and killed – no arrests have been made.
Joseph and his brother Jonathan, who were both six months into studying a degree in Crime Scene and Forensic Investigation at London Metropolitan University when he was killed, were taken out of their secondary school because of their parents’ fears over youth violence in London.
Detectives continue to appeal for witnesses to the incident. Anyone with information is asked to contact police by dialing 101.