Arsenal boss Wenger: Sanchez had ‘good game’ during 3-1 Etihad defeat as Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola hails wantaway Chilean
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger insisted Manchester City target Alexis Sanchez had a ‘good game’ despite many describing the wantaway Chilean’s performance as disappointing as the visitors slipped to a 3-1 defeat at the Etihad on Sunday.
Wenger’s men were simply outclassed by a hard-working City despite Wenger insisting referee Michael Oliver’s contentious calls ‘killed’ the game for the visitors.
The long-serving Frenchman was angry at Oliver for awarding a penalty after Nacho Monreal tangled with Raheem Sterling with the score at 1-0 after Kevin De Bruyne scored in the first half as Sergio Aguero slotted home the spot-kick to make it 2-0.
After substitute Alexandre Lacazette – on for the disappointing Francis Coquelin who was a surprise choice for a starting berth – pulled a goal back to make it 2-1 both Jesus and David Silva seeming to be offside for City’s third, scored by the former.
But Wenger was adamant Guardiola’s summer transfer target played well.
You may also want to watch:
When the this correspondent asked Wenger about what he thought of City target Sanchez’s performance at the Etihad as the long-serving Frenchman replied: “I think he was good”.
Wenger also added: “I felt he was sharp in the first half but he did not have much support and overall I think he has given everything. It was a huge mental test for him. “He was focused and wants to win.”
- 1 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 2 Hackney Wick floating restaurant wins Catey award
- 3 'It could be a grim Christmas': Brexit blamed for Hackney fuel shortages
- 4 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 No shortage of energy for runners in the Hackney Half and 5K
- 7 Meet the Insta-famous Hackney café taking over your feed
- 8 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 9 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
Earlier when City boss Guardiola was asked his views on Sanchez in Spanish by an Iberian journalist Guardiola pointedly replied in English saying emphatically: “He’s a top class player.”