Europa League: Arsenal, Tottenham learn group opponents
- Credit: PA
Dundalk can look forward to a trip to London after being paired against Arsenal in the Europa League group phase.
The Irish side secured their place with a victory over Faroese outfit KI Klaksvik in the final qualifying round, and will now face the Gunners home and away in Group B.
Dundalk head coach Filippo Giovagnoli was delighted by the draw.
“It’s super-exciting. The way Arsenal play is amazing and Mikel Arteta is something special,” he told the club’s official website.
“It will be amazing to play against a coach like that. It will be a challenge, of course, but we must make sure we have fun and enjoy it.”
You may also want to watch:
The other two sides in the group are Austrian club Rapid Vienna and Molde from Norway.
Tottenham, UEFA Cup winners in 1972 and 1984, have been drawn against Bulgarian side Ludogorets, LASK of Austria and Royal Antwerp from Belgium in Group J.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
Jose Mourinho’s men secured their place in the group phase after a 7-2 victory over Israeli side Maccabi Haifa on Thursday night, with Harry Kane hitting a hat-trick.
The final Premier League representatives, Leicester, will take on Braga of Portugal, Greek side AEK Athens and Zorya Luhansk from Ukraine in Group G.
Celtic and Rangers were drawn against sides with great European pedigree, with the Hoops facing seven-times European Cup winners AC Milan and the Light Blues taking on two-time champions of Europe Benfica from Portugal.
Celtic, who were losing UEFA Cup finalists in 2003, will also face Czech side Sparta Prague and French club Lille in Group H.
Neil Lennon’s side dropped into the Europa League qualifiers after being knocked out of the 2020-21 Champions League by Ferencvaros of Hungary.
Rangers will face Standard Liege of Belgium and Polish side Lech Poznan in Group D, in addition to the glamour trip to Lisbon.
Prior to the draw, Inter Milan striker Romelu Lukaku was named the best player in the 2019-20 Europa League.
The Belgian forward’s goals were crucial to Inter reaching the final, but his own goal proved decisive in a thrilling final defeat to Sevilla in Cologne in August.