Art challenges perceptions of disability
- Credit: Archant
A new exhibition at world renowned artist and Hackney resident Yinka Shonibare’s studio which explores life through the lens of disability.
The show is taking place at Shonibare’s ‘guest projects’ space called Shape Open, which invited artists to submit work expressing different aspects of disability, to challenge the way that disability is perceived.
Yinka Shonibare, a wheelchair user himself, said: “In the context of an ever-changing society, I felt that it was important to encourage reflection on the lives of disabled people and create an honest and wide-ranging discussion about the barriers that we face.
“The responses are serious-minded, satirical, and often ambiguous, requiring the viewer to consider the different aspects of disability and to challenge the way that disability is perceived.”
The final artworks were selected for the exhibition by a panel of judges including Shonibare and Shape Open Prize Winner 2014 Carly Jayne.
You may also want to watch:
The exhibition is open from noon to 5pm, from Thursday to Sunday or by appointment, from Friday February 5 to February 26 at Guest Projects in Andrews Road, London Fields.
Shonibare will also give a talk on becoming an artist on Wednesday February 10 at 7pm.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted