Ridley Road Studios hosts artist open day ahead of closure to make way for luxury flats
- Credit: Ridley Road Studios
Artists are throwing open the doors to their studios on Saturday to celebrate their work, ahead of the building’s redevelopment into luxury flats next year.
Ridley Road Studios in Dalston is one of seven groups taking part in the Dalston Open Studios event to mark the year-long 150 Years of Dalston Arts festival.
The studios in Ridley Road opened 12 years ago and houses about 60 painters, sculptors, ceramicists, fashion designers, graphic designers, illustrators, photographers and print makers.
Fine artist Christian Hidaka, who helps run the studios, will be “sad to see it all come to an end”.
“We are opening our doors for anyone wishing to visit, to offer snacks and drinks and share what we do,” he said. “Some studios are multiple occupancy, and others are individual occupancy containing a vast array of practices.
You may also want to watch:
“Many have been here since 2006 and have matured as artists and designers in this building. The fact Dalston had this affordable space for us to develop and make things was a great opportunity that we are grateful for. Thanks to the current market and developers these spaces have been suffocated and no longer exist.”
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 4 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 5 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 6 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 7 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 8 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday