Artists impression revealed of plans for Mole Man site
The Gazette reveals the artist’s impression for the proposed development on Mole Man’s former home.
A planning application to demolish the dilapidated house of notorious tunneller William Lyttle, and build a block of flats in the Kingsland conservation area was lodged with Hackney Council last week.
The eccentric oddball gained worldwide fame after he spent 40 years digging a 60-foot network of tunnels beneath his �1 million house in Mortimer Road.
Before the operation to salvage Mr Lyttle’s home by pouring concrete into the tunnels, workmen had to remove skip-loads of accumulated junk, including the rusty wrecks of four Renault 4 cars, a boat, scrap metal, old baths, disused fridge freezers and old TV sets.
He died in June aged 79, owing over �400,000 to the council, who saved the building from collapse.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Fraser - who claims to be acting as administrator for Mr Lyttle’s relatives – lodged a planning application with the council last week to demolish the dilapidated unsafe building and build a four-storey block of eight two-bedroom flats.
Members of the public have until October 25 to comment on the application.
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
Planning application number 2010/2137 can be viewed on www.hackney.gov.uk