Arts group teams up with Hoxton community to make gardens out of disused bath tubs
- Credit: Archant
An arts organisation is showing how one man’s rubbish and can be another man’s treasure in a project transforming disused bathtubs into garden pots across Hoxton.
Peer, an independent arts group, has teamed up with the community to rejuvenate 12 tubs that were bound for the dump.
Each has been rebranded with new artwork developed in tandem with their adopters and artist Olivia Mathurin. They were then infilled with soil and plants, such as ox-eye daisies and poppies, with the aim of inspiring homeowners to think of innovative ways to recycle their homewares.
Passers-by can see the pots from today at North and South Arden Estate, Shoreditch Library, New City College, Hundred Years Gallery, Hoxton Hall, and St Monica's Primary School.
The Adopt a Tub project started in April, with tubs recovered from a skip in Peer's carpark in Hoxton Street.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson said: "The idea started to brew, especially considering a lot of local people live in residential blocks with little access to gardens or green spaces; the idea was that they would have their own little garden in a bath."
The project was backed by Hoxton Trust, Arts Council England, Hackney Council and Grow Wild Kew Gardens Community Fund.
- 1 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 2 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 3 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 4 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 5 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 6 Corbyn slams 'spy cops' in peace group as 'disgraceful interference'
- 7 A sneak peak of what's in store for Black History Season in Hackney
- 8 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
For a map of the tubs see peeruk.org/adopt-a-tub.