Arts venue wants help from community in creating new soap opera named Hoxton Street
- Credit: hoxton hall
The Eastenders set is famously based on a real Hackney square – and now an innovative project could see Hoxton inspire another soap opera.
Arts venue Hoxton Hall is creating its own pilot episode of a soap named Hoxton Street, based on the historic market street.
The script will be written by playwrights Lil Warren and Oladipo Agboluaje, who will work with the community through interactive theatre performances and podcasts to create characters and storylines.
The venue is urging anyone who lives, works or studies in the area to get involved.
"The aim of this project is to give local people a voice and the ability to explore issues relevant to them, opening a space for meaningful conversations", says Hoxton Hall's CEO Karena Johnson.
You may also want to watch:
The project is supported by the council's Shoreditch and Hoxton Art Fund, created from a levy on developers in the areas.
Warren said: "I am so glad to be back at Hoxton Hall as part of this project that puts authentic stories from Hoxton folk at its heart. It's an exciting opportunity too for people to contribute ideas and vote on the direction of the storyline and characters".
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
Agboluajge added: "I'm really keen to create characters and unearth some interesting storylines based on what's currently happening in and around Hoxton."
Anyone interested in taking part can head to Hoxton Hall for the launch at 5pm on Thursday next week.