Asda to open less than a mile from controversial Sainsbury’s site in Stoke Newington
The supermarket store wars in Stoke Newington and Stamford Hill intensified this week after Asda announced plans to move in.
The Netto store in Clapton Common will be transformed in a half a million pound refit as part of Asda’s takeover of the discount chain.
The new supermarket - one of 147 former Netto stores - will open on Monday (July 11) amid growing upset over proposals for another food store less than a mile away.
Developers want to build a 2,200 sq m Sainsbury’s store in the car park behind 195-201 Stoke Newington High Street, along with 94 underground parking spaces and 50 homes.
Residents and traders saw the plans for themselves on Friday and Saturday at a public display in Abney Hall in Stoke Newington Church Street.
You may also want to watch:
Debora Robertson, a food writer and member of campaign group Stokey Local, said: “It’s desperate. Why won’t they leave us alone?
“The supermarket chains want to get their market share. This is a fairly affluent community and they want people do their weekly shop in their stores.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
“I’m not surprised they are interested in the area but it threatens the livelihoods of many people in Stoke Newington.
“There are supermarkets all over the place. I just don’t believe we need any more.”
Seven supermarket chain stores are currently operating between Dalston Junction and Stamford Hill Broadway.
Developers Newmark Properties and Sainsbury’s say the new Stoke Newington store will create 200 new jobs and provide businesses with much-needed parking space.
Asda bosses say a further 19 new jobs will be created at the new Clapton Common supermarket.
Area manager for Stamford Hill, Kevin Prince, said: “Despite being a small Asda supermarket we think customers are going to be delighted with the new store.
“We hope they will be bowled over by the range and there will be no price premium for anything we sell.”