Asda to open less than a mile from controversial Sainsbury’s site in Stoke Newington
The supermarket store wars in Stoke Newington and Stamford Hill intensified this week after Asda announced plans to move in.
The Netto store in Clapton Common will be transformed in a half a million pound refit as part of Asda’s takeover of the discount chain.
The new supermarket - one of 147 former Netto stores - will open on Monday (July 11) amid growing upset over proposals for another food store less than a mile away.
Developers want to build a 2,200 sq m Sainsbury’s store in the car park behind 195-201 Stoke Newington High Street, along with 94 underground parking spaces and 50 homes.
Residents and traders saw the plans for themselves on Friday and Saturday at a public display in Abney Hall in Stoke Newington Church Street.
You may also want to watch:
Debora Robertson, a food writer and member of campaign group Stokey Local, said: “It’s desperate. Why won’t they leave us alone?
“The supermarket chains want to get their market share. This is a fairly affluent community and they want people do their weekly shop in their stores.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 7 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 8 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 9 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 10 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
“I’m not surprised they are interested in the area but it threatens the livelihoods of many people in Stoke Newington.
“There are supermarkets all over the place. I just don’t believe we need any more.”
Seven supermarket chain stores are currently operating between Dalston Junction and Stamford Hill Broadway.
Developers Newmark Properties and Sainsbury’s say the new Stoke Newington store will create 200 new jobs and provide businesses with much-needed parking space.
Asda bosses say a further 19 new jobs will be created at the new Clapton Common supermarket.
Area manager for Stamford Hill, Kevin Prince, said: “Despite being a small Asda supermarket we think customers are going to be delighted with the new store.
“We hope they will be bowled over by the range and there will be no price premium for anything we sell.”